1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Change of heart

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Karvol, Mar 16, 2011.

  1. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    You would stand without a job.
    Get in touch with them ASAP and let them know what has happened. It happens sometimes, but speed is the essence. The quicker you establish what your circumstances are and the quicker you inform the school, the quicker they will find a replacement.
    Whether it is true or not, is neither here nor there. If you do not want to go there, then there is no point delaying the inevitable.
  2. Jaupua

    Jaupua New commenter

    My advice -for what it's worth - would be to contact the school immediately (as in, now), explain the situation, express your apologies and offer to reimburse any expences. I've no idea if you're legally obligated to go, but i doubt a school would try to make you - it just wouldn't be worth it.
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Contracts for international teachers are very useful if you are lighting a fire or you need some scrap paper for your toddler to scribble on.
    You do, however, have a moral obligation to the school that offered you the job and therefore you should contact them as soon as possible. I agree with Jaupua that it would also be right to offer to repay any expenses the school may have incurred. You never know - maybe one day you will want to work at that school, so you should do your best not to blot your copybook too much. I also have the sneaking suspicion that international principals are in the habit of picking up the telephone and having a chat with each other, so it is probably in your own best interests to bow out as gracefully as you can.
  4. Thanks everyone for your help. Its difficult because I might still be able to go if things at home change. I just wanted to check the situation. I think I will contact the school asap and just let them know whats happening.

Share This Page