1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change Of Career

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jhart1490, Oct 28, 2019.

1. jhart1490

jhart1490 New commenter

Hi guys,

I wondered if anyone had any advice regarding a change of career from teaching.

I'm currently an English teacher in the Outer-London boundary, but I've decided to consider a change of career. Realistically, what career options are available to someone in my position? I've been an English teacher for 5 years, but I don't know what other kinds of careers I could move in to.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. radozar88

radozar88 New commenter

you can Think of education management abroad

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The starting point is to have a think about what you would like to do and pursue opportunities in that field. From what you have written nobody's going to say you should go into this or that, there's just not enough detail. Perhaps a chat with a career coach might help.

Teachers have so many transferable skills that many don't even realise they have. If you've made the decision to move out of teaching get your CV online, put the word around your friends and social media that you're looking for a new job and start researching and applying for jobs.

I suspect you're at an early stage in the process and wondering to yourself what you can do so your thought processes are going round in circles and not coming up with a plan. Think of what you would advise your students to do if they were looking for a job and asked you for advice and then do that yourself.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Well you can frankly move into any number of careers.....

Police officer. Bar manager. Solicitor.

See what I’m trying to say???

Without more details this is a pointless exercise. Positives Is your location. Ok, it’s outer London, but south east has many more opportunities than say, north east.

5. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

Its definitely easier to change careers earlier on in teaching than later. There's lots of threads on here about possible career alternatives, and some helpful advice about cvs and transferable skills. There's plenty of inspiring stories from those who have left teaching too. You do need to narrow down what you want to do, or at least what you definitely dont!

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Is it possible that your university offers a careers guidance service - possibly at a reduced rate? That might be a good place to start. Without knowing more about you, your subject, your interests, your skills, your location, your financial committments.... I can't offer much more help than this. Sorry

7. jhart1490

jhart1490 New commenter

Thanks for replies all. I understand what you’re getting at. Something that utilises my writing skills would be best I think, but maybe a chat with a career coach would be wise!