1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Change of Career?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Tink3rb3ll203, Aug 23, 2017.

  1. Tink3rb3ll203

    Tink3rb3ll203 New commenter

    Each year as we move towards September I find myself less and less excited at the prospect of another year in the same place. I've been at my current school 6 years teaching Chemistry. I'm on M6 and earning a fairly decent wage, but I just feel like I need a new challenge. I dable in some other exam board related jobs too to keep me interested, but I'm wondering about a career change. Or maybe I should just move school or try independant?

    Don't get me wrong, I love the teaching, and I love things like making resources. It's all the other rubbish that comes with it I don't enjoy, including the lack of a personal life when term hits. But I have no idea what line of work I could branch into.

    So basically I'm looking for ideas of work related to Science Education that perhaps I could take a look at.
  2. Trendy Art

    Trendy Art Star commenter

    From what you've said if I've understood correctly, you've been at the same school for six years, and have options:
    1. Move school - experience of a new challenge with a different ethos (and possible role if that's what you want)
    2. Become an examiner - something you research and see what route you could take there
    3. Change from state to independent schools - a different emphasis, potentially smaller class sizes
    4. Science education - perhaps contact a subject association to see what they could tell you? Sometimes they have opportunities that come up from companies, etc. https://www.ase.org.uk/home/
    Think about the above and rank them. That way you can begin to pursue what interests you the most.

    Hope that helps.
  3. Teachallover

    Teachallover Occasional commenter

    Or do change career. Nobody says once you qualify you have to do that until the day you retire...
    mathsmutt and Alldone like this.
  4. Moony

    Moony Lead commenter

    If you do decide it's a areer change do you need any additional skills? Right now you can get student finances, as in loans, for second STEM degrees depending on the subject. You can also get loans to cover the fees for a masters degree if you don't already have one and you are not excluded if you have a PGCE.
    cazzmusic1 likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    If you have been a classroom teacher for six years in the same school, then you are very possibly just bored.

    Moving to an independent might not give you much more of a life in term time, but gives you several more weeks a year in which to have one. If you love teaching and resource making, then maybe try a large prep school, rather than senior, just for a change?

    I'd definitely look at moving schools if I was you.
    Tink3rb3ll203 likes this.
  6. Alldone

    Alldone Senior commenter

    One of my Chemistry friends wrote this year's GCSE chemistry text book for an exam board. Perhaps you could do something similar.
  7. Tink3rb3ll203

    Tink3rb3ll203 New commenter

    Thanks folks. Perhaps I just need a change of school. I think I will keep my eyes peeled for an independent role this year or maybe Head of department at another school.

Share This Page