1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change of Career or Bad Idea???

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hannahjhan, Jun 17, 2012.

1. I am currently employed part time in secondary education. I would like to move to a new job to broaden my experience, as I have taught in the same school for 11 years since qualifying). I am definitely in need of a change! However, as I'm sure you all know, there are very few jobs around, especially part-time ones. I have noticed, however, that there are many more primary jobs than secondary in my local area. I am a mother of 3 young children and have been very involved in their primary school and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I am considering applying for a primary post. Do you think this is a ludicrous idea? If not, what can I possibly do in order to be prepared? I would love the opportunity to undertakle further training, but it doesn't seem that there is anything on offer. Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

From reading posts on here, it would seem that it's almost impossible, but I know two people who did that in "real life" - they just applied for primary jobs and were appointed! I also know of a primary teacher who was appointed to teach secondary History. x