1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change of career advice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by KTGC, Nov 4, 2017.

?

If you could leave teaching and move to a new job, would you?

Poll closed Nov 11, 2017.
  1. Yes, I’d leave if there was a job waiting

87.0%
  2. No, I’d stay in teaching

13.0%
  1. KTGC

KTGC New commenter

i want to know if anyone knows of teachers who have successfully moved to new careers/fields.

What did they do and how did they get there?

I’ve tried reducing my hours to cope better but have come to realise I just don’t enjoy the job anymore. With 30 years ahead of me, I can’t imagine spending them teaching! I did want to move to healthcare as a speech and language therapist or eductional psychologist but have been advised it’ll take up to 8 years part time. I feel like there’s no light at the end of the tunnel!

2. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

HI KTGC
    30 years is a long time to be unhappy in your work place. I wish I was just 10 years younger so I had more options (I'm 51). It is a little late for me to retrain for 8 years (albeit part time), but for you, you have time on your side. I have resigned and leave end Dec with NO plan; this is a leap of faith for me, and a scary one at that. I'm not in a strong financial position, but I also know how time is running out for me in my working life and so cannot put off making a change any longer. Do not delay making a change while you have time on your side. I too am interested in seeing what and how other teachers have made it out of teaching. Good luck.

oggs26 and Tinycat1234 like this.
  3. KTGC

KTGC New commenter

TEA2111 thank you for that, I do know I need to move, I’d like to retrain and have been told it’ll take 8 years part time which would suit me as my children are still young. It’s just knowing what to retrain in! I’d love to work in health or educational psychology, possibly totally change and work self employed or even the private sector... anything but teaching!

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Why not do the course? You have to get through the next 8 years anyway, so why not retrain?

I'm doing a part-time course in a subject related to my degrees but more practical (archives), so could potentially change careers at some point. However, I am enjoying it and that is the more important thing at the moment.

KTGC and TEA2111 like this.
  5. KTGC

KTGC New commenter

That’s sounds great! I did. History degree nd am finding the things that interest me now are more science based which means doing an A level science then a science based degree; cost is a concern!

6. sheila.mckean

sheila.mckean New commenter

Hi KtGC,
    I know exactly how you feel, I too am looking to come out of teaching after 17 years, the job has now lost its initial attraction for me, I just don't know what to do. Good luck

7. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Why not still do the course? You could look at different part time roles in schools whilst you’re waiting