1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change of ADs - not feeling so great

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon3279, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hello,
    My GP recently changed me from Citalopram to Sertraline because she thinks it deals with anxiety better than the original ones. I've been on them a week but not feeling so great now. I actually feel much more anxious, really tired and a bit bleugh (iykwim). I asked the GP and pharmacist if I'd get any problems and they said that they were, basically, made of the same things just in a different way. Has anyone else experienced this?
    If I don't start picking up in a day or two I'm going back to the doc because I feel like I've regressed a month in terms of where I was in my recovery.

2. Hello,
    My GP recently changed me from Citalopram to Sertraline because she thinks it deals with anxiety better than the original ones. I've been on them a week but not feeling so great now. I actually feel much more anxious, really tired and a bit bleugh (iykwim). I asked the GP and pharmacist if I'd get any problems and they said that they were, basically, made of the same things just in a different way. Has anyone else experienced this?
    If I don't start picking up in a day or two I'm going back to the doc because I feel like I've regressed a month in terms of where I was in my recovery.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Side effects are often the same as what's being treated... and remember that they can take up to 6 weeks to kick in!

4. Yes, that's what I experienced when I started the Citalopram a couple of months ago. I didn't realise I'd have to go through the whole ordeal again with this change. I feel as though I'm NEVER going to get better at this rate [​IMG]. Thanks.

5. Hi, I have been on exactly the same meds. I found that the effect of the citalopram seemed to wear off and have been taking the sertraline for 4 weeks. I had headaches and anxiety first few days but it seems to have evened out my moods now. I wouldn't say I am 'over the moon' but I have improved my scores on the depression questionnaire by a few points and I'm crying less :) Hope you start to feel better soon x

6. That's good to know geminiteach, thank you. Thing is that I was actually feeling alright on the Citalopram, much less depressed, but the anxiety when I think about "The Issue" (that caused all of this) wasn't any better. I think I'd feel better about this change if I'd been warned - I thought I was losing the plot or something!
    Hope you continue to improve and feel better soon too x

7. Think the anxiety caused by 'the issue' is completely normal really, I still feel very anxious and tearful thinking about my issue at work. I have found relaxation tracks helpful, especially to get to sleep. I have also cut right down on caffeine and my GP has given me some sedatives if I really can't sleep.
    I have been off since end of November and would definitiely say give it time. At first I thought I would only be off a week....... I am hoping that my anxiety will be sorted by changes work should make after OH report.
    Take care x

8. Nothing to say on the advice front but just wanted to wish you well Poeme, sorry to hear you're having a setback on the road to recovery, take care xx

9. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Did you switch straight from one to t'other? Or did you sort of phase one in and one out? I'm not actually sure why I asked now! I feel a bit daft....
    If you remember how long it took to feel 'ok' with the Citalopram, I imagine it will take a similar amount of time to adjust to the new meds. As everyone else has said, give it time to settle in.
    PS did you have really WEIRD dreams on Citalopram?

10. I'm looking to change from venlafaxine to citalopram, just because I think it would be better for me if I was to fall pregnant. Obviously no AD during pregnancy would be best, but there are more risks associated with venlafaxine during pregnancy.
    Did citalopram help those that have changed onto it from another AD? Just curious really.

11. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Did you ever get referred for a talking therapy? I'd guess that the only medications that make a difference will be the ones that are highly addictive. It is normal to have anxiety that is related to an ongoing stressful situation and your GP should be looking at ways other than just medication.

12. Jennymus -thanks. I'm sure I am getting better, it's just taking longer than I thought.
    MrsArmitage - no, there was no phasing in, I took Citalopram one day and started the others the next. I'm rather taken aback by the change and more than a bit narked that I've gone back a step or two but I know I need to think medium and long term (I was never very patient!).
    No strange dreams as such although I get a few flashbacks to do with why I'm on the pills anyway.
    Emma - I thought I was alright on Citalopram. I felt quite happy and was functioning pretty well and if I could have taken the anxiety out of the equation then I'd probably be in a good place.
    Torey - yes, finally I've been refered to talking therapy. The service covers a whole range of different approaches I gather. I'm just waiting for my first appointment but the GP has also suggested that I use a specific counsellor although that's going to cost me (eek!). I'm determined to knock this particular depressive episode on the head for good, if I can, so sorting out any lingering issues is a good idea I think. Obviously, until things are sorted out with The Issue I can't make as much progress as I'd like.
    Thank you all.

13. Just to add my bit, I've been taking Sertraline since January last year and I've been off work since May last year. I found the Sertraline excellent for calming my anxiety and depression. I've also been able to access excellent talking therapy (CBT) which has been fantastic and has taught me to use mindfulness techniques. My one to one therapy will finish soon and then I shall be attending a Mindfulness course to consolidate what I've been learning.

It takes time but I'm starting to feel that there may just be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care.

14. Thanks yirg, it's always good to hear a positive point of view, especially when things feel a bit bleak. Hope your recovery continues well.

15. Poeme, not every drug is suitable for everyone.
    I was prescribed Sertraline at one point in the past, and I just couldn't take it. It made my anxeity much, much worse. I think this can happen with Sertraline.
    Also, I don't think stopping one drug one day, and starting the new one the next, is the best way to do things, as it can lead to heightened anxiety.
    Where these drugs all help with the symptoms of anxiety and depression, they do all have drawbacks as well.
    I have been on Venlafaxine for 10 years, and I honestly do have some really unpleasant side-effects of taking it, and even worse side-effects if I am even a couple of hours late taking it.
    It can take a while to find the right dose, and sometimes there is a very fine balance between a dose which is effective and a dose which makes symptoms worse.

16. Thanks for that insight doglover. It's certainly true that I'm feeling much more anxious; I'm a bit of a mess if truth be known. If I don't feel better soon then I'm going back to the doctor because this really is a backward step or three. The doc did consider, last month, upping my dose of citalopram and adding in beta blockers for the anxiety symptoms but obviously changed her mind this time. I just wish I'd had some warning about the recurrence of symptoms with the change of meds then I'd have been less worried about it!
    I know it's early days, in terms of fiddling around with the type and strength of tablets, so I'm trying hard not to be too impatient but I would like to be back to my normal self asap.

17. I'm puzzled because I'm on citalopram for the same reasons as you but the Citalopram addressed both immediately and I was only on 20mg to start with! It took a while but the anxiety disappeared (not totally but to the point where it was what I regarded as a 'normal' level) after 8 weeks.
    If you had only been on citalopram for a little while but you were feeling better, I don't understand your GP's thinking. Surely a higher dose of that and a bit more time would have been the more sensible strategy for say a month or two and then switch over to this new drug if that didn't work?
    That said, I'm a Psychology Teacher not a Doctor, so there must be a reason that I don't know of.
    Btw, you will get better eventually as I'm on 10mg every other day now and have been fine so far! Hopefully, this will continue next week when I stop altogether!
    I'm crossing my fingers!
    Hope you get things sorted soon!
    MsB

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why don't you phone for a GP appt on Monday if you feel you have gone back a step or three?No harm in asking him/her for some reassurance that the right decision has been made. After all the GP won't know what the change of medication has done unless you tell him/her. Take care.

19. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Definitely go and see your doc - I'm not sure abruptly stopping one lot of ADs and swapping for another is quite the way to go. I had a 'cross-over' period - to wean me off one lot and onto another without there being that sudden change. And was given beta-blockers and Valium, just in case the anxiety attacks came back.(Only 3 days supply though, not enough to be habit -forming, and I didn't need them anyway!) Think back to when you started the Citalopram, and how that took time to even you out. It will probably take that long with the new ones. The fact that you're experiencing anxiety probably suggests that the ADs were doing their job, and that you do still need them.

20. I will get to the doc. I did wonder about the abrupt change but didn't like to question it. Perhaps I should have done.
    Mrs Armitage, yes the citalopram was dealing with the depression quite nicely, to the extent that I feel quite happy with the way that's going. It's the anxiety that's the problem but I understood that citalopram deals well with that anyway. I've only been on the ADs since Dec so it's still pretty early days.
    Why can't things ever be straightforward?
    Thanks for the replies - it's useful to know other people's experiences.