1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

change in time limit?????

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by flower16, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hi one of my collegues has mentioned that the time limit for supply teachers to do supply work and have not started their nqt year is going to change? Is this true, im hoping it will scrap it overall as lack of work is not helping!

2. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Good afternoon flower16
    I have posted the information before. At present there is a consultation going through at the moment, the closing date is either the 5th of December 2011 (if my memory serves me right) and if the proposals are approved, from Sept 2012 all NQT's will have 5 years they can work on supply, before being required to have completed the induction.
    However I am unsure how it affects those whose time as expired or is due to expire, because the detail on this point is a bit vague. I have submitted additional proposals to address this issue and have requested my union to support the the additional proposals, waiting to hear on that point.
    But what is more worrying for all teachers is the other consultation going through, closing date the 15th of December 2011, which if accepted will give teachers from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US, full QTS and they would not be made to do an induction, because they will be treated like teachers from the EU, who are granted full QTS and do not have to do an induction. This if it is accepted will likely come into effect from Sept 2012.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Are they/ will they be exempt from UK Induction because they have served the equivalent of Induction in their country of origin, either through time as a qualified teacher or as part of a longer training programme?
    I welcome the proposed lengthening of the supply limit to 5 years but, for a minority, it may not be helpful.
    If someone trains and achieves QTS now and then decides to take time out to travel, do somethimg else or stay at home raising a family, they don't trigger their 16 month supply allowance until the first day of non-Induction teaching, even if that first day is 5 years or more after getting QTS.
    Under the proposed changes, someone who starts a family and opts out of the workforce until their child starts schoo would find that they had no supply allowance left when they wanted to start their carer. They'd need an Induction post as their first post and would be effectively barred from taking supply work as a way of gaining relevant experience before applying for contract posts.
    It would be better if the 5 year limit dated from when a candidate first took non-induction supply work, rather than from when they achieved QTS.
    Having said all that, it's rather academic in the present climate whether there's a 16 month or a 5 year limit, seeing as there is precious little supply work available with the take-over of the daily work by unqualified Cover Supervisors.
    I'm not restricted by an supply limits as I completed Induction in 2003 but my workload has reduced to under 30 days per year in the past two years (from a minimum of 132 days in previous years). I don't even earn enough from my sporadic teaching bookings to pay tax. I am only able to claim tax relief on the GTC fee and my Union subs because I have another source of income that makes me a taxpayer.

4. From what I understand, they have reviewed the teacher training programs in these countries and found them to be equivalent to QTS. All teachers from these countries who choose to teach in the UK will submit their documentation and be added to the QTS register (which will be in effect from April 2012, I believe, from what it says in the consultation).

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

But every UK trained person starting an NQT post has QTS but still has to undergo Induction.
    Are the overseas/EU teachers who have QTS equivalency from their home countries exempt from Induction because their training (+ any teaching experience abroad) is regarded as more rigorous and also the equivalent of the Induction programme?
    I'd rather see the Induction year abandoned for everyone. Schools can use competency /capability proceedings to dispense with the services of anyone who doesn't continue to make the grade after gaining QTS.
    Induction appears to be applied in such a varied way in different schools that it's unfair on those who land a job in some places.

6. Every university program is different, I couldn't possibly comment on them all. In my own experience, my teacher training started when I was in my first year of university (it was a concurrent program where students studied for both their Bachelor of Whatevers and their Bachelor of Education at the same time) and it was a 5 year program, culminating in the final "Professional Year" which was a mixture of placements and uni courses. Some universities have two year placement years, others are shorter. It's all quite variable.

I think the Induction Year is a bit unnecessary as well. I think it could be abandoned or changed into a simple 'mentoring' program (reducing a lot of stress on everyone involved). It's usually pretty clear early on who is going to make a good teacher and who is not.

7. darkness

darkness New commenter

I agree. Once again, it seems if you train in the UK you are more penalised by the whole system. It is indeed the case that if you train oversees and are assessed against the standards here you can be exempt from having to do induction. So why is this induction here for anybody who trains in the UK? It makes no sense. As you say, schools can just use capability for those not meeting the standards.