1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change in the way tutoring website works

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by gainly, Oct 7, 2019.

1. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I've just been having a look at the TH website and noticed that for new tutors, joining after April 1st, there is a new system. Instead of collecting a finder's fee, TH collects commission of up to 25% on every lesson. Bookings and payments are handled by TH rather than directly with the tutor. I certainly wouldn't have signed up under those conditions.

For the moment this doesn't affect existing tutors who joined before April, but I wonder if they intend to move everyone onto the new system eventually. Something to keep an eye on if you're on TH.

bramblesarah likes this.
  2. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Shame.
    TF have the same system but once you have taught over 300hrs the commission goes down to 15%, which I think is fair. 25% is really too much and a bit of a disincentive. Whatever happened to FT? I used to get as much from them as TH but now I get nothing from them.

3. BG54

BG54 New commenter

Thanks for the info, I only average about 1 student per year from TH so it won't be a huge loss for me to put them on the same level as TF and only accept a student for a free slot at an otherwise difficult time.

Regarding FT, their volume of requests has certainly declined lately although I have acquired a new student from them in the last hour. I often wonder if there are regional variations with these agencies?

4. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I bet that is why for some of us requests for tuition have gone down. Now they have this new system. I saw on the website they said that parents pay and can cancel and book lessons through their system. I think that will mean more parents will cancel if it is easier to do through there website. I am really annoyed they have gone to this system.

5. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I wouldn’t be happy with that at all. Disgraceful.

6. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

What happens about the bad payers??
    I often have people 'forget' and pay the following week.
    I have just been stung for 3 weeks lessons by someone who insisted on paying by direct debit - and didn't!!

7. bramblesarah

I have started being pusher with payments. When I first started everyone gave me cash so it was easy to just not leave until they paid, but keeping track of bank transfer is hard work. I send out email reminders which started out very polite. "Oh very sorry to bother you but having checked my account I am not sure I have received payment" with now I say "the last payment was received on x. I haven't received payment for x. Please ensure payment is made before the lesson alternatively you can bring cash to the lesson".

8. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I only have one parent who pays by bank transfer, she pays while I am there and shows me on her phone that she's paid. Everyone else pays cash which is the easiest method

9. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

If they are booking lessons and paying through the website I imagine they will have to pay for the lesson when they book.

10. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Not a chance would I sign up for that .

11. BG54

BG54 New commenter

On TF the client has to supply debit/credit card details to the agency and payment is taken automatically by the agency within a few hours of the lesson ending. The tutor then receives payment about a week later, minus the 25%.

12. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I deactivated my TF account due to the extortionate level of commission charged. Should TH go the same way with all registered tutors, I'll be doing the same.

The one thing I do like about TH is the ability to search for tuition jobs. It's something I've not seen as a feature of any of the other sites I've used.

Might be a good time to spruce up the old FB tuition page and go old school with cards in newsagents' windows.

langteacher and bramblesarah like this.
  13. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

You live tuition people actually have it good on TH. Online tuition forces the tutor to not be paid for the first hour (student still pays), and the following hours get a commission of 20% (?) of the hourly rate. Given that most of my work is short term with university students, this is by far the most dreadful site I advertise on. Also same day tuition cannot be booked, a first session of more than an hour can't be booked... etc.

14. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Do you actually use that to contact students offering to tutor them? Have you had any success?

15. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Yes, I've had a few clients get back to me after I've initiated contact and then commenced tuition. The search function is a bit fiddly offering various ways to sort the results (the mysterious 'TH rank', location, date registered or last login). Often you can end up contacting someone who sought tuition a couple of years ago and who neglected to close their enquiry. I find sorting the results by the date registered brings up the most recent jobs.

I know some would baulk at tutors approaching potential clients for work, but I say, there's nothing wrong with a bit of initiative. One tutor's sense of principle is another tutor's income.

gainly likes this.
  16. Bolter

Bolter New commenter

The TH commission structure this year is a significant problem.

Unfair for new tutors as your lesson cost is 25% higher than existing So you either are too expensive or take a 25% rate drop.

17. bramblesarah

I have actually set myself up on Google. I thought I would be charged for it but so far it's free. No one has contact me through it as of yet. I emailed TH to complain and asked them not roll the system out to all tutors. If we all complain they may listen to us?

18. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

How do you set yourself up on Google?

19. bramblesarah

https://www.google.com/intl/en_gb/b...b0WEN1e0vHU9ERbSZTAHdBp7VSOrenhUaAk3OEALw_wcB

So it's a function of Google maps where you can set yourself as a business. There is an app called 'My business' by Google or you can do it on a computer you can add your details phone number e.c.t. They will even give you a free website, it's great. So it someone types in maths tutor (area) into google maps then you appear in the search results. Just like if you typed in supermarket or hair dressers. If you want to set yourself up and you need some help let me know. :)

briancant and gainly like this.
  20. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Thank you very much. It could make the tutoring sites redundant.