1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change in text books for the new IB - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by beedge, May 11, 2012.

1. beedge

beedge New commenter

For no good reason, other than "we always have", our school has always used the "HAESE" text books for HL, SL and Maths Studies. There now seem to be about 4 alternatives out there - all of which are bringing out new versions to incorporate the changes in the syllabus. I thought now would be good time to have a look at some of the options out there. Does anyone have any experiences (positive or otherwise) using some of these other text books?

Thanks very much.

2. beedge

beedge New commenter

For no good reason, other than "we always have", our school has always used the "HAESE" text books for HL, SL and Maths Studies. There now seem to be about 4 alternatives out there - all of which are bringing out new versions to incorporate the changes in the syllabus. I thought now would be good time to have a look at some of the options out there. Does anyone have any experiences (positive or otherwise) using some of these other text books?

Thanks very much.

3. I've been using the Cambridge (Quadling) ones for the last couple of years as I didn't like the way the H&H books did calculus. However having looked at most of the new ones I'm favouring the new Oxford ones which look significantly better then the old one (which I never likes) and am planning on moving the whole dept over these from next year... I particularly like the fact they use the Nspire as the GDC (with additional notes for TI84/Casio) and has a nice ebook as well which is important for us as we have a lot of inter nation students for the IB who don't take their textbooks back home during the holidays as they weigh too much!!
    http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/education/international/ibdiploma/mathematics/9780199129348.do?sortby=bookTitleAscend&thumbby=10&thumbby_crawl=10&zoneCode=OXEDZC050

4. We're doing Pearson for HL, Oxford for SL and the Ric Pimentel book from Hodder for Studies.
    We're also getting copies of everything, so might change for the following year.

5. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I have all 3 of the new Oxford series, which were written with the new syllabus in mind. I have to say that I am impressed with all of them and intend to use them for all 1st year diploma students: HL, SL or Studies. I've written a brief review of each of them for the Amazon UK site.