1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change from teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MrTeachingResources, Apr 22, 2018.

1. MrTeachingResources

MrTeachingResources New commenter

Afternoon all,

I am just wondering if anyone could help with any advice/tips on where to look regarding a new career?

I have a BSc (Hons.) in Zoology, PGCE, QTS, enrolled on PGDip this year which leads onto an MEd next year. I have also spent 1 year teaching A Level biology and nearly 2 years teaching GCSE science.

The only thing keeping me in this role is that there is yearly progression in terms of a wage, but I am not happy with teaching, despite being very good at it and forever hearing the praise from line managers, Deputy Head, Head and Ofsted.

The lightbulb moment came when I am regularly having to choose between planning, marking, etc. or spending time with my 10 month old.

Thanks in advance - I welcome all replies!

2. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

I work in university outreach in London. Not amazing pay but I also tutor under my own steam and still get to work with the likes of those I did at school ages without the added pressures and having to tread the same office necessarily each day. Opportunities are scarce though.

BioEm and MrTeachingResources like this.
  3. JCH74

JCH74 New commenter

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good a teacher you are or the yearly salary increase, the work-life balance in teaching just makes it too difficult to continue. Having been a teacher for 18 years, left the profession and worked as a career change mentor [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

englbee likes this.
  4. itsykitsycat

itsykitsycat New commenter

I need some help with what to do, I have handed my notice in and currently need a break from teaching. I have no idea where to start of what to do next ... getting pushed by agencies to go into other schools. I really am at a loss :( Have considered teaching in Australia but they don't accept the GTP and no idea what supply is like...

5. martinstickley

martinstickley New commenter

6. kstickley77

kstickley77 New commenter

Try the Did Teach job board. They are a rapidly expanding organisation supporting outstanding teachers who are transitioning out of the profession. Good luck.

Tactful_Teaching and agathamorse like this.
  7. BioEm

BioEm Occasional commenter

I posted this elsewhere but thought it would be helpful here too:

It's not worth jumping until you have completely considered it and have some kind of plan of action in place, and I say that as someone who has recently left teaching.

In regards to taking the plunge, it's nerve wracking, but it is possible providing you are 100% sure that you want to do it and are prepared to work in order to secure another job. Also being prepared to earn far less money than you are on now and likely face a few rejections before you find a job. Don't do it on a whim, because of a bad workplace or a bad few weeks (not suggesting that is the case here at all, but teaching is full of people who like to talk about leaving but don't really mean it)

I knew I wouldn't be staying in teaching forever about 10 years in (due to the changes in the profession that people talk about commonly on here that weren't there when I started teacher training in 2001) but I did think I'd be doing it for at least 20 years. However forces conspired against me and I left far earlier than anticipated. I won't rehash it here, but a quick look at my past posts will give you all the details if interested. I started looking around for other jobs I could do and getting ideas and then looked at my finances. Initially I wasn't prepared to drop my salary by much and so it all went on the back burner for a bit. I thought I'd stay for another year and then spend most of my free time this academic year looking for non-teaching roles and gaining experience by volunteering in my spare time/the holidays but things escalated quickly and as such I handed my notice in with no job to go to in May. But I only did that because I had a supportive husband and money saved that could tide me over if I wasn't able to get a job before the end of the summer holidays.

I spent much time researching jobs you can go to from teaching with little other experience, reading blogs/books from ex teachers, befriending people on LinkedIn who had made the transition and asking them how they managed it and looking at the advice on here. I made a CV, sexed up my LinkedIn profile and applied for many jobs. I had several interviews and eventually got the role I'm in now. It's a huge drop in salary but I love it and have no regrets. I thought I might and was prepared mentally to realise I had made a massive mistake, but thus far that isn't the case and it's unlikely to be. But it's not the same for everyone.

There is supply to tide you over, as others have said, if you really feel the need to get out of your current workplace asap, but there are downsides to supply that you can see on the supply board. It's always better the devil you know while you're making your decisions.

I hope that helps. It is very much possible to leave if you want to, but it's not simple and it requires much soul searching, hard work and financial planning. I'll finish this with some links to some blogs/books that I used when I first decided to look around at getting out, there's some good advice on here too, particularly @missteach2005 . Good luck.

Life after Teaching (tales of a 40-something ex-teacher) blog

Life after Teaching (Sarah Greesonbach)

Those Who Teach blog

'School's Out! The Definitive Guide to Leaving Teaching and Rebalancing Your Life' (book)

agathamorse likes this.