1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change from Primary to Secondary

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by manics1, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Bit of a random one this, I posted it on the Cymru forum also. I did my PGCE last year in Primary.Will have almost finished myNQT year by the end of July.
    However, I have learned Welsh in the past 3 years as an adult and have completed a sabbatical with the Welsh Assembly which is at degree level and means I could teach in Welsh medium schools. However what I want to do is teach Welsh as a 2nd language in High Schools. It is a shortage subject and I accept this would be a very odd career move as almost everyone seems to want to move the other way!
    I have worked in secondaries before and with Youth Offending Teams and in PRUs so most of my experience is with secondary aged kids anyway. My degree is in History and I didn't really fancy teaching it full time so opted for primary.
    Now I have a subject I am passionate about, its a shortage area and everything just feels right!
    How would I go about doing this to get where I want to be?

2. With QTS and induction complete there is nothing to stop you just applying. It is a matter of convincing an interview panel that you can do the job. You have a wide ranging set of expoeriences and there is no harm in trying. An alternative would be supply work to gain secondary experience make your qualifications and intentions known and, who knows?
    The Sage