1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change A Level exam board?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bjhcar, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I am hoping some of you might have some advice for a newbie on here.....
    I am solely responsible for teaching AS and A2 ICT and I currently follow the OCR spec and have done for 10 years. However, I am thinking of changing boards for reasons which I won't go into apart from to say I am not very happy currently. I have no problem with the structure of the course, and from what I have researched so far the structure is pretty similar for all 3 boards, and there is a fair amount of crossover with the subject content.
    Would anyone recommend AQA or WJEC? How have other teachers found them in terms of support etc? Any advice gratefully received!

2. I am hoping some of you might have some advice for a newbie on here.....
    I am solely responsible for teaching AS and A2 ICT and I currently follow the OCR spec and have done for 10 years. However, I am thinking of changing boards for reasons which I won't go into apart from to say I am not very happy currently. I have no problem with the structure of the course, and from what I have researched so far the structure is pretty similar for all 3 boards, and there is a fair amount of crossover with the subject content.
    Would anyone recommend AQA or WJEC? How have other teachers found them in terms of support etc? Any advice gratefully received!

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Frying pan & Fire anyone?

Without going into the issues how can we help? If your issues with OCR are the same as ours with any other board then there's no point changing is there?
    If you've done 10 years surely it's "better the devil you know".

Trying to get a third trite phrase into this posting but can't.

C'est la vie.

4. We are in a similar position with OCR.
    As for frying pan and fire, I don't know if any other boards set AS practical tasks which are so difficult to complete to the exact mark scheme that the teacher forums are full of "Task 6 - how the hell do the students complete this without using a script?" and such like.
    And the A2 coursework is stiflingly dull, although at least it's not difficult.

5. ccroyle

ccroyle New commenter

We moved from AQA to WJEC a few years ago, they were OK to start with but, like the rest, have lost the plot. The A2 is pretty straight forward, it's a shame the AS isn't similar, too many topics to study, too much waffle type questions in the exam and poor/inconsistent marking leading to shocking overall results. Nice people to deal with though and you can always get a reply. Have you looked at the CCEA?

6. We moved from AQA to WJEC about 6 years ago and the results went through the roof. We found the restrictions on the mark bands for the coursework were limiting for the brighter students. With WJEC there can be some 'waffle' questions on the exam but we tend to find that our candidates do so well on the coursework they get at least their target grade in the end. I agree very nice people to deal with and criteria are fully explained. Attending their Inset is a must. We havn't found fitting the theory in a problem.

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Ditto, but not had the results to make "through the roof" claims but better than what my students are predicted by ALIS as a rule and previous AQA grades were ok to be truthful. AS paper is indeed a bit waffly/vague and there is an element of luck for the kids on hitting mark schemes, but that factor only going to account for about 5% of the overall grade and if you give them a resit then chances of them being continually unlucky are slimmer. No doubht that A2 is substantially easier for kids on the exam paper and the coursework (if the teacher knows how to build dbases)