1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chances of working in Early Years with a Primary PGCE?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jellybears, Jan 18, 2016.

1. jellybears

jellybears New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing a Primary PGCE, training to teach KS1 and KS2. I've just completed my Year 1 placement and another short placement with young children and I've realised that I might actually prefer working with younger children to older, especially with the crazy new curriculum. I'm wondering what my chances are in applying to KS1 jobs as compared to people who are training in Early Years - and probably a longer shot but my chances for Foundation jobs too?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

When employed by a headteacher they can essentially direct you to teach what they want. Some consult teachers about preferences, some don't. Once employed in a primary school you can request to teach early years. I am 5-11 trained and taught KS1 and 2 for six years. Just made the move to EYFS this year at my request. I would say aim for a KS1 class for your NQT year as the EYFS curriculum is so different, but once fully qualified you can go anywhere!

3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Your chances are high. I trained in KS1 & 2 and got my first job in the early years. Headteachers often change staff around each year too so you may also end up in the early years that way :)