1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chances of temp contract being made permanent now I'm pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Smiley Face, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I'm currently employed on a temporary one year contract covering maternity leave. I have been told by the head that the contract will be made permanent if the person I'm covering decides to return part time which I know she does intend to do. However, I have recently discovered that I am pregnant. The baby will be born toawrds the end of my contract and, having looked into my maternity rights I will only be entitled to SMP if I remain on a temporary contract. If my contract is made permanent before I go off on maternity I will be entitled to far more and also, perhaps more importantly, have a job to return to.
    As I have only been verbally told that the contract will be made permanent if the person I'm covering returns part time I am concerned that when they find out I'm pregnant they will change their minds.
    I know that legally my pregnancy cannot affect my chances of a permanent contract but was wondering what everyone if anyone had been ina similar situation and could tell me the outcome.
    Thanks

2. I'm currently employed on a temporary one year contract covering maternity leave. I have been told by the head that the contract will be made permanent if the person I'm covering decides to return part time which I know she does intend to do. However, I have recently discovered that I am pregnant. The baby will be born toawrds the end of my contract and, having looked into my maternity rights I will only be entitled to SMP if I remain on a temporary contract. If my contract is made permanent before I go off on maternity I will be entitled to far more and also, perhaps more importantly, have a job to return to.
    As I have only been verbally told that the contract will be made permanent if the person I'm covering returns part time I am concerned that when they find out I'm pregnant they will change their minds.
    I know that legally my pregnancy cannot affect my chances of a permanent contract but was wondering what everyone if anyone had been ina similar situation and could tell me the outcome.
    Thanks

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Is there any chance of talking to the person you're covering and seeing if she wants to make it official that she wants to only return part-time? Then you could have a chat with your head, saying that you have heard it is official and could do with a document in writing saying you have a permanent post because you are applying for a mortgage blablabla... It sounds a bit dodgy but I am getting increasingly frustrated that women are losing out on what should have been theirs simply because they are women! I was due a pay rise in September, stupidly didn't confirm it in writing and now I'm stuck because school (small independent so not a lot of money) has to fork out for maternity cover and can't afford the pay rise as well. This wouldn't have happened if I'd been a man, simple as!

4. Thanks for your reply. I have considered that but I barely know her and I think she's unlikely to do it as a favour as she's not due back until April which is a while after my baby's due. I think I'm just going to tell the head and take my chances and hope for the best. Thanks for your advice though.

5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I wouldn't rate your chances too highly but you can only try. It's illegal to dismiss on grounds of pregnancy but dismissing somene covering a maternity leave is easy as your employment automatically ceases on the return of the postholder. The head making noises about keeping you on doesn't change this and nor does the postholder returning part time. Anyone covering maternity should assume they will be unemployed when the postholder returns. You would be in a stronger position if it was a straight forward temporary contract rather than maternity leave.
    Of course some schools are more forward looking and if they are really impressed with you then they will want you back after your own maternity leave.
    I was in the position of ttc while covering a maternity leave and my head knew I was ttc because I was having fertility treatment - sadly, my treatment failed and I have given up ttc. I suspect I would have returned to the school in some capacity though - certainly on supply, maybe on the staff once/if a suitable gap appeared. As it is, my school have kept me on - the lady I covered for returned to work but another member of staff left.
    Good luck, it is hard being in temporary employment while you are having a family. I'm sure one way or another things will work out - if not at this school, remember there are others where you will be able to work after your baby is born. Hope everything works out.

6. Thank you. My contract is actually temporary for one year but just happens to be also covering the maternity post. Do you think this will make any difference?

7. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

It'll depend on how your contract is worded. Normally maternity contracts are open ended because the postholder can change her mind and come back earlier/later than she originally stated.
    However, if your contract has a specific end date then the school are required to honour the contract until that date (barring any clauses they might have put in - my temporary contracts have always had something about possible early termination but you need to check your own).
    Non-renewal of a fixed term contract is classed as dismissal but if the postholder's return means you aren't needed then the school can justify this legally.
    I think a lot may hinge on a) whether the school want to keep you and b) whether there will be a vacancy there for you. These are issues I faced - a) was never a problem, I knew they wanted me but b) was a problem until someone chose to leave in the summer term. Things would have been more complicated if I'd managed to get pregnant myself but I think the outcome may have been similar.
    You won't really know where the land lies until you've spoken to your head and you know for certain what the lady who you are covering plans to do.

8. From bitter experience, even with the pregnancy angle disregarded - I'd never ever take getting given the post post-maternity cover as a given. I've been burnt by that quite badly myself - head wanted me to stay on, told me as much all the time and that the post holder wasn't looking likely to return... when I went to go through the recruitment process for the post (she'd had to advertise it based on the say-so of someone or other higher up) - a tonne of men applied and the shortlisting panel (who'd always had an obsession with getting men into the school - it was fairly heavily male-weighted for a primary) decided on an all-male shortlist - despite the head desperately trying to push for me to go forward to interviews.

9. Good luck, it is hard being in temporary employment while you are having a family. I'm sure one way or another things will work out - if not at this school, remember there are others where you will be able to work after your baby is born. Hope everything works out.[​IMG]

10. Thanks for all your replies. I'll let you know how i get on!