1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chances of getting supply work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by abuzzybee0, Oct 24, 2018.

1. abuzzybee0

abuzzybee0 New commenter

Hello all!

I was wondering what the chances are of getting supply work? I am currently upper KS2 with year 6 experience, and have previously taught in SEND and up to year 10 for biology, chemistry and physics. I’m an NQT +1 in Essex.

(Trying to give enough info for people to respond accordingly).

Thanks in advance :)

pepper5 likes this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I can't answer on any of your specifics other than a very general, "If you don't ask then you know the answer".

If you can afford about half a day per agency to get the paperwork done then I suggest you get a portable DBS and register with as many as you can be bothered. With work picking up in October you should be able to get a fair bit of work, especially if you don't mind being paid peanuts in the more revolting schools. After a few gigs you can then get more picky.

I'm probably stealing @pepper5 's thunder here but she will no doubt recommend ringing round the local schools and seeing if they will employ direct or failing that which agencies do they use. I've never tried this but Mrs Cazorla is stepping into supply and following precisely that route.

If you're currently in a school then go to the staff room and quiz the only occupants, they\re supply teachers and should be able to answer the specifics much better than anyone here.

All the best

pepper5, agathamorse and abuzzybee0 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You have got as good a chance as any.

Do what john suggests and register with several supply agencies.

You have picked a good time, as work picks up after October.

You are in a good position as you can do primary and secondary which widens your chances of getting work.

However, remember supply can be totally unpredictable in terms of work unless you take a long term cover.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

You are lucky (and no doubt very hard working!) to have such a range of experience so quickly. I'm not in your area but the SEND skills seem to get asked about a lot, when I've registered with agencies. What demand that translates into is another matter. The science department was run on supply for quite some time at my last school. I think it's about getting lucky with something that suits. If you are going the agency route, which has some things going for it, get recommendations. I asked both supply teachers I knew/met and also the cover manager at my then school who she thought was professional and good to deal with. Obviously there are different needs in play, but it's turned out ok so far. I suppose your location in Essex matters and the radius you can cover. I'm guessing you are relatively young, with energy, so that will make you attractive. Don't be afraid to ask for more money than they offer you if you think the job's worth it, particularly if you go somewhere, they like you, and want you to stay longer. Agencies often get a bad press, and no doubt it's deserved, but pluses may be prompt pay and being at arm's length. You don't work for the school so can keep a distance from many of the things that are unattractive about direct employment, which I find helpful practically and emotionally. Good luck

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We started out this year with a supply teacher in our department - but he's been so good that he has now been taken on full time from Christmas.

abuzzybee0 and pepper5 like this.