1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chances of getting another job

Discussion in 'Governors' started by timo1, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I've been a head for 18 months and I'm thinking of moving on. Many of the teachers are UPS 2 or 3 and within 5-6 years off retirement and most have no interest in improving. The school has had 2 satisfactory inspections and I think we will be heading into NTI next time. I have an SLT team in name only. I really can't see how the school can move forward. Governors and L.A. are fully behind me. The teachers will not work with me, since I was forced into making 2 redundancies due to a budget deficit. I've also dealt with underperformance. If I leave without a job, how will that effect my chances of getting another job in the future ? I've had a very successful career (in a number of schools) up until now, but the negativity in the school has just worn me down.

2. I've been a head for 18 months and I'm thinking of moving on. Many of the teachers are UPS 2 or 3 and within 5-6 years off retirement and most have no interest in improving. The school has had 2 satisfactory inspections and I think we will be heading into NTI next time. I have an SLT team in name only. I really can't see how the school can move forward. Governors and L.A. are fully behind me. The teachers will not work with me, since I was forced into making 2 redundancies due to a budget deficit. I've also dealt with underperformance. If I leave without a job, how will that effect my chances of getting another job in the future ? I've had a very successful career (in a number of schools) up until now, but the negativity in the school has just worn me down.

3. revstevew

revstevew New commenter

As a Governor currently seeking a Head, I would look at all candidates and their positions. If you can explain the reason you left in a satisfactory manner, and I thought that the situation might be different with us I would consider you. However I would also have concerns as to whether you had bitten off more than you could chew in the first place, and I would quiz you about it if you got to interview, especially as redundancies are likely in many schools in the near future.
    You say you have had a successful career up to this point, I'm guessing as a teacher / Deputy Head, but being the General Manager of a multi million pound business, which is what the Head is, is a world apart from being a good teacher, so this would not influence me at all, only your time as a Head.
    So yes, it will have an effect, but if you can sell yourself to the Governors, and can explain what happened, it doesn't need to be a negative effect.