1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chances of a Law student?

Discussion in 'History' started by TooManyThoughts, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I am a final year LLB student, I have History at grade C at A-Level and at grade A at GCSE. The subject is a huge passion of mine, I am looking at different areas such as RE and citizenship but History has long been my favourite.
    Obviously I do not fit the entry requirements for the PGCE, however I was advised by one provider that they would consider me if I undertook a masters in History.
    I would just like to ask whether anyone has gone down a similar route, and whether or not my employment prospects would be affected by the fact that I do not have a first degree in History.
    Ideally I would like to be based in London for employment, but don't mind too much where I train. Are employment prospects for History teachers different in different parts of the country?
    Thanks

2. Hi there,
    I am a final year LLB student, I have History at grade C at A-Level and at grade A at GCSE. The subject is a huge passion of mine, I am looking at different areas such as RE and citizenship but History has long been my favourite.
    Obviously I do not fit the entry requirements for the PGCE, however I was advised by one provider that they would consider me if I undertook a masters in History.
    I would just like to ask whether anyone has gone down a similar route, and whether or not my employment prospects would be affected by the fact that I do not have a first degree in History.
    Ideally I would like to be based in London for employment, but don't mind too much where I train. Are employment prospects for History teachers different in different parts of the country?
    Thanks

3. Difficult to say really. Get in touch with different providers and see what they say. Your chances of getting a job in an independent school without an undergraduate History degree might be more difficult, and in the North it's certainly harder to get History jobs.

For what it's worth, RE and citizenship do seem to be on the decline simply because of Gove's English Baccalaureate. I have a couple of friends who did Citizenship and neither of them are actually teaching it - they're doing social sciences; politics etc.

4. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Why not teach Law A level and GCSE? It's a popular subject now and there is not so much competition. So many historians around all with very good history degrees from top universities. It is very hard to get history jobs.

5. Curiously enough, I did a History PGCE and now teach only AS/A2 Law (I used to be a solicitor)! History is a great subject but the competition for posts is intense and in my humble view, you'll find it very difficult to get a PGCE place.
    Why not do a citizenship PGCE and then teach Law? You never know what will come up, there may be a chance of some History teaching at a school if you make a good impression.