1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chance of fainting with a fasting blood test

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by daydreamer86, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Pretty strange question, I know, but is there a high chance of fainting after a fasting blood test? I have a phobia of needles anyway and quite often hyperventilate before an injection and I can just imagine, having not eaten, I would pass out. I have had a blood test before but that was a few years ago now and I was with a close friend-I don't think anyone will be available to accompany me this time. Would it be a good idea to take some water in with me?

2. jubileebabe

jubileebabe New commenter

I fainted the first time I had a blood test (was not afraid at all so it wasn't from that.) The nurse told me that the next time I have a blood test I should ask to lie flat so it doesn't happen.
    I have had many blood tests since then, have always asked to lie flat and have never had a problem. The person doing the test usually tells me to stay lying down while they write up the paperwork, then slowly sit up and stay sitting a couple of minutes to make sure I'm OK before getting up.
    I would definitely ask to lie down if you're worried and have a drink of water and something sweet to eat before you get off the bed. You should be fine then.
    I hope it goes well!

hlhingley7 likes this.
  3. Make sure you're hydrated. Fainting's caused by low blood pressure which is sometimes caused by dehydration - it's easy to forget to drink if you're fasting.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They do a fasting blood test mainly to check glucose levels. It's also quite good for triglycerides. If you were diabetic, you would have a low glucose in the morning whereas non diabetics would be in the normal range.
    Drink water. It's a bit like skipping breakfast or having a late one.

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I had to have a glucose tolerance test in both my pregnancies (at 28 weeks) as there's a history of diabetes in my family.
    I had to fast for 14 hours, have a blood test, drink a vile glucose drink, and then wait 2 hours before having another blood test.
    I felt quite ill and faint the first time and had to lie down. I have quite low blood pressure so not sure if that affected it.
    While i was in the waiting room the lovely receptionist was making sure we all had a drink of water.
    After it was over i went straight to the hospital coffee shop [​IMG] Fasting when you're so pregnant is not nice!
    Try to relax as much as possible. Blood tests are never as bad as you imagine they're going to be.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

In my old life, I was the person who sat in the labs and analysed your blood sample.
    Let me assure you there are worst tests than a fasting one.
    Water deprivation test (There is a condition where people just drink water. We had to ensure the level of electrolytes in the blood and urea was safe. Some people even drank the water in the plant pots)
    24 hour urine sample - collect all your urine for a day. About 1.5 litres unless you had renal problems. Then we got 3 litres.
    3 day faecal sample. A test for fat absorption. Eat coloured food. Collect your faeces for 3 days until the dye appears. This test was always delegated downwards.
    I could go on - but I think the 3 day faecal sample was the worst.
    And I gave all that up for teaching!!!

7. Thanks for the replies people.

8. Even funner when they forget about you 2 hours after the Lucozade of doom... those chairs in that waiting room = most uncomfortable sitting position known to man. I'm back there in 3 weeks for a second GTT (I get hit twice because of my BMI) and I'm taking a flipping cushion this time!

9. Well I had the blood test today and I didn't faint although seeing the woman place the tubes of blood onto the desk did make me feel a bit weird! I explained to her that I was needle phobic and she was very understanding. My legs were shaking and my fingers were tingling with the adrenaline (I get a genuine fight or flight response with needles) but I didn't pass out or cry so I'm happy. Now to get through my Hep B injection next week!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You must be very pleased with yourself, daydreamer - well done! Hope next week's injection goes just as well.