1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Challenging year 6 Last Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gymswim, Jul 14, 2011.

1. HELP!!!!
    I have a very challenging year 6 and am dreading the last day. We have a leavers assembly until break and then it will be a long break while shirt signing goes on. Previous years the Y6 have been happy to continue with getting autographs, watch a dvd, have a party and generallly chill until the leavers parade. This class will need somethimg a lot more constructive. I would do some sport but they are so damn competitive it ends up in a shouting match between the boys and the girls having no fun. Also 'teaching' would be pointless on the last day as they will just not be receptive at all.
    Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated - I really want this class to have a memorable last day for all the right reasons.

2. Orion

Orion New commenter

Buy a large box of sweets from costco as prizes. Then have a series of building challenges such as bridge building etc...
    That will be competative and also engagaging and also fun.
    Also if you can get the stuff called "dust" in straws is has extra e numbers as well!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Talent show - organised in advance by the pupils.

If one or two of the teachers of younger children would like to lose their children for an hour you could ask your class to devise a circuit of activities to be done on the playground by the younger ones. The younger children could be organised into teams and the Y6 are in charge of the stations. I'm thinking bean bag throwing into targets, ladders, skipping, knocking skittles down etc - depends what equipment you have.

Or if you have enough computers have them play some games such as these:
    http://www.reviseict.co.uk/endofterm/

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Some of these ICT activities in the link might not be suitable - although I do like the create your own Simpson character!
    There are plenty of resources out there though if you do decide to do a computer based activity.

5. Your class sound a bit like mine! You could print out a leavers book template (www.primary-teaching-resources.co.uk for £4) and sheets of photos of children taken throughout the year. The children then spend a couple of hours choosing photos and sticking them in, writing down captions and messages, sharing favourite memories, colouring and decorating their books etc. The class could also vote on awards e.g biggest joker, chatterbox. Then bind them to take home. Hopefully a calm and constructive activity. Followed by children's choice of DVD from a vetted list!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We finish at 1.30 so don't have the whole day to fill thank goodness!

Leavers' assembly, then shirt signing and autograph collecting.

Then picnic on the field with food and games.

Then go home!

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

We have TWO leavers services, which rather cuts down on the free time! We are down in our church for the first hour for the first service, then back to school for shirt signing and autograph collecting. We then have a long playtime and class sorting ( last year my class LOVED ripping the displays down!!) before lunch and the second prizegiving service in the afternoon.