1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Challenging Year 1 continuous provision.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mia1996, Dec 28, 2018.

1. mia1996

mia1996 New commenter

Hi
    I am an NQT working in a Reception and Year One class. We have continuous provision around the room for the children to access at all times and then I pull for small group work as well as whole class input. Sounds complicated but it works for our kids!!

I have been told by SLT that I need to improve my continuous provision further by making it more challenging for my Year 1 children when they are accessing it. We take a ‘skills based’ approach to our continuous provision e.g. joining.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can make my continuous provision more challenging for the older children.

Thank you in advance !!
    Mia

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There is a series of 'carrying on in KS1' which are great, but expensive now, compared to when I bought them.
    I have quite a few and could sell them to you for a bargain if you have a look and decide which you want.

There is also a book called 'Moving on to KS1' which is great for why it is important for year 1 to still play, but less focused on actual activities.

I don't have this book, but would expect it to be excellent as all the others of his are and it seems to be a bit more up to date than the others I've mentioned.

Similarly I have the nursery one from this series and it's great, but expensive. Could well be useful.

3. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

I have been teaching Foundation Stage for many years but keeping children challenged in the continuous provision is something that I have never found easy. Some children naturally challenge themselves but others will often play at a low level without frequent adult input to extend them.

Would be interested in your books caterpillar, but naturally mia has first dibs!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Keep an eye on the thread and see what's what.
    I think my books are at school, so I'll make a list on Wednesday when I'm in.

5. mia1996

mia1996 New commenter

Sorry I haven't been in touch!
    Caterpillar I would be super interested in the books if you wouldn't mind.
    If you have them id be interested in the construction, outdoor play and sculpting ones please!
    Thanks !