1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Challenging The Most Able: GCSE Lit

Discussion in 'English' started by pleasemiss__, Nov 24, 2018.

1. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

2 or 3 of the children in my Y9 GCSE English Lit. group are producing evaluative/analytical essays demonstrating most/all of the criteria of a highest band response.

Would you share advice on how you advance the progress of pupils of this high calibre during essay feedback lessons? I don’t want to limit them or waste their time with more of the same, you know?

Do I ask them to make comparisons between another text? Or do I ask them to consider a reader response from a particular political/historical perspective?

Any wisdom gratefully received.

2. install

install Star commenter

Get them to peer mark some top set yr10 and yr11 essays - so that they start competing higher up. It might be good for some top yr10 and yr11 gps to also peer mark the yr 9 work. All healthy and competitive ...:):):)

tb9605 and pleasemiss__ like this.
  3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

tb9605 likes this.
  4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Like the ideas above. Can you set them wider-reading (critical, contextual or fictional) and ask them to incorporate references to these to illuminate their analysis of the original text? This is obviously easiest with poetry (and could be done in the lesson) - if analysing Anthem for a Doomed Youth then give them Exposure, for example. If it's a longer text, you might need to set the reading as extra homework.

You could also get them to plan and deliver a lesson to the rest of the class.

roamingteacher likes this.