1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Challenging Students- Using quantities in French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by youngjen84, May 20, 2011.

1. Hello all
    I have an observation next week which has come at an awkward time in the expo 2 rouge book! I have to teach my top set French class how to use phrases like "un kilo de" to buy food in quantities at the market.
    Now, ordinarily I never come on here to moan for help and I can plan a whole lesson myself (usually! lol) but I am struggling with making this topic challenging enough- I have a really motivated top set who I know will be ok with independent work + using language to make their own role-plays at the market; but anything else anyone suggests in order for me to really push them, would be very very greatly appreciated!
    Merci d'avance!
    Thanks for reading :)

2. Hello all
    I have an observation next week which has come at an awkward time in the expo 2 rouge book! I have to teach my top set French class how to use phrases like "un kilo de" to buy food in quantities at the market.
    Now, ordinarily I never come on here to moan for help and I can plan a whole lesson myself (usually! lol) but I am struggling with making this topic challenging enough- I have a really motivated top set who I know will be ok with independent work + using language to make their own role-plays at the market; but anything else anyone suggests in order for me to really push them, would be very very greatly appreciated!
    Merci d'avance!
    Thanks for reading :)

3. Could you ask them to create a role play in a shop/market place? You could ask them to do it in pairs and then peer assess other pairs. They could have a peer assessment grid where they could comment on use of connectives, opinions, adapting language used in other topics etc. They could then give one target for what they could do next time to improve.

4. This mught be a good opportunity to teach able pupils what constitutes an expression of quantity and let them discover and (explain ) the language patterns that emerge when they find beacoup de + plural noun, la plupart de la .. , I'm thinking categorisation/thinking skills, explain the rule - How I wish my A Level students had experienced such a lesson early on. To liven up content why not use shopping for school disco/Big Brother house/House Party. Good Luck x

5. mpc

mpc

My immediate thoughts are dictionary work - provide a list of words for students to categorize, I went to the market and I bought or I'm going to buy... (bit forced, I know) or a mystery task.
    I agree it's not the easiest of topics to demonstrate challenge,
    mpc :)