1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Challenging lesson for Y4 co-ordinates

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahxy99, Mar 15, 2012.

1. I am teaching co-ordinates next week for an observation and want this to be exciting and challenging for my Y4 top set. does anyone have any ideas?x

2. Easter egg hunt?!

3. I like that idea! could u explain a little more please, what would it involve, creating a grid in the classroom/playground? x

4. I've not done co-ordinates before; hadn't really thought any further than chocolate, to be honest! You knoooow you'll have their rapt and adoring attention however you play it if the brown stuff's involved!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

To be honest Sarah, you need to be able to plan your own lesson. You are the teacher, what do you normally do?

We cannot possibly think what is challenging for your class as we have no clue where they are at in their learning.

6. And there's me thinking this is a supportive forum providing a place for professionals to share ideas... I'm sure Sarah is perfectly capable of planning her own lessons but suspect she may have been looking for a little 'inspiration' from this (usually) supportive network. Hope this comment doesn't put others off asking for advice...

7. Thankyou Mrs Majeika :) x

8. bouncybunny

bouncybunny New commenter

Absolutely! Let's keep this forum as a supportive arena where we can all share ideas and support each other. I've been teaching for over 20 years, care passionately about the children in my care, but don't think for one minute that I'm 'above' receiving helpful and supportive advice from fellow professionals- be they near to retirement or fresh out of college. It's a hard enough job, and one which most of us take very seriously. We're in this together- we don't need 'put-downs' or patronising comments which make us feel inadequate. If we feel the need to seek 'friendly' advice, let's do it on this forum.

9. I've been here asking for help COUNTLESS times (including asking for help with specific lessons/units) and Minnietheminx has given it to me SO often. I think she meant 'challenging' - what does that mean for this class? As in, you don't say what levels you're catering for etc.? So it would be hard to go much further than a really basic idea. There ARE loads of patronising bellends who post here, but she's really not one of them :) x

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I didn't mean it to sound horrible, and I'm sorry if it did, but it is impossible to plan for another class. The OP was given some ideas as a start, but they have to be the one to flesh it out and create a lesson that allows their children to make good progress. No one else can.

I could show here the perfect lesson for a year 4 class in my school on co-ordinates that I could teach and get an outstanding grade. However it could well be utterly useless for the OP with their way of teaching and their class in their school. It could be too challenging or not challenging enough. It could be too active or not active enough.

Easter egg hunt is a great start at this time of year. Whether the OP choose to put a grid on the playground or on the ceiling in the classroom (often good if you have those square tiles) is up to them. How tricky they make it is also up to them. Real eggs or cut outs is also their choice. Or a worksheet with hunting for eggs (please God not colouring them in!) may also be best. The OP is a teacher, probably a good one if they know about and use this forum, and so can definitely do this for themselves.

11. I'm an NQT and I need to be teaching the children a new concept during the lesson rather than an application of prior knowledge. They are level 3C to 3A We have already done co-ordinates on a grid and drawing pictures. i just wanted an an idea of how to extend that, to really get them thinking. I might look bring compass directions into it, or look at the 4 quadrants with the higher ones. Or might just scrap the idea entirely as I am concerned it will be too easy.

12. Going slightly off the point here but I wouldn't touch those ceiling tiles with all the asbestos up there!

13. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

I did this last week

Main teaching group was coordinates, where children plotted them onto paper revealing picture.
    More able went out and gave coordinates on a four quadrant graph (using negative numbers on x and y) to draw shapes.

3 most able children went out and did 3d coordinates xyz in a small room - measuring all dimensions and then looking for the secret clues that had been hidden. They then hid their own items giving 3d coordinates for each other to find.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I was thinking of using the metal framework as the lines, all you need for co-ords.

15. does anybody think that it would be a good idea to bring compass directions into it? e.g give directions from (1,2) to (5,1) they have to say move 2 squares north and one square west?

16. I like the idea of compass directions, especially with an easter egg or treasure hunt.