1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Challenging class

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Beanie89, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Beanie89

Beanie89 New commenter

Hi. I'm on supply in a lovely primary school. I'm generally coving ppa however I'm spending more and more time in one particular challenging class. There are quite a few children who are very disruptive. There main teacher is current off sick and the class is been covered by SMT. They have begun to put some strategies in place but these don't generally work.

I haven't had much experience with such challenging classes and am wondering if anyone has any advice or strategies I could try.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

The school should have a behaviour policy. Make sure you follow it, mercilessly.

Seek out the SMT member(s) who have covered there and find out matters like strategies tried (whether or not successful), seating plans, potential trouble-makers. Explore a few what-ifs with SMT eg) what if I need to send someone out? How do I do it.

In fact the crucial question is not "How do I deal with this class?" but instead "Will the SMT be supportive?" if Yes then you can gradually work your way towards being happy with them!

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes and remember that it is the school's best interests to be proactive and not reactive.Investing in you will help them in the long term and of course the children who need to learn. Ask about their Behaviour for Learning policy . If this us met with ' search me ? ' think about moving on !