1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

challenging activity for my Y1 HA one/ten more or less?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Jan 23, 2011.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi guys I am looking for an activity that will challenge my HA. The objective is Say the number that is one more or one less than any given number ?
    They can already do this for numbers up to 100.

Thanks

2. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi guys I am looking for an activity that will challenge my HA. The objective is Say the number that is one more or one less than any given number ?
    They can already do this for numbers up to 100.

Thanks

3. If they can already do it why are you trying to get them to do it again? Move them on to 10 more and 10 less (my whole year 1 class were doing this this week) or 1 more and 1 less within a word problem if you insist on them carrying on with that.

4. Have you considered multiples of 10 - more/less? Number patterns involving multiples of 10 beginning from any single digit number/two digit number (then beyond?), and application into problem solving?

5. I would personally do 10 more/less in a sequence but get them to present it in a 5x5 wordsearch (number search) grid, say 3 examples of sequences of 5 eg 12 22 32 42 52 then give it to a partner to solve in the plenary

6. Can your HA already find 10 more/10 less for any random number by changing the tens digit? If they can have you looked at the next step according tro year 2? Two chn from my class are more advanced so they looked at numbers beyond 200 for 1 more/1 less and they rounded numbers to the nearest ten because this is a yr2 objective for next step after 10 more/10 less.

7. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Try this!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks1bitesize/numeracy/sequences/index.shtml
    BBC Bitesize Key Stage 1 - Number Patterns.
    A fun game where they see a character jumping over a bridge with numbered planks and have to click on the next number for her to jump on to. If they get it wrong she falls through a rotten plank.
    It has three levels, so you can use it for the whole class. The first level is steps of one, and the middle and hard levels are steps of other numbers, counting up or down.
    Good luck!

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

If they are secure at this, why not get them to apply what they know and introduce addition/subtraction of 9. (Add 10, take one away or take away 10 add 1)?