1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

challenging activity for my HA group estimatating y1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Jan 9, 2011.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi guys, think I aa ony going crazy today tryingto think of an activity that will challenge my top group. I have my LA/MA taking handfuls of objects (up to 20). they estimate and record then count to check. Any ideas as to what I could do for my HA?
    Thanks
    Claire

2. maybe you could link it to capacity work and ask them to estimate how many cubes/counters/whatever would fit in different containers - does the tallest container always hold the most?

Another idea is to link it to halves/quarters - how many cubes do you think will fill half of this cup? estimate how many counters in a line will measure the same as half of the table length?

3. or another idea is that they could find the difference between their estimation of how many objects in a handful etc and the real number.

4. Thanks orangeshortbread! Fantastic!

5. Smurf191

Smurf191 New commenter

We had fun estimating in year one - we gave them a smartie fun size box and 1 smartie. They had to estimate how many would fit in each box. We found out the number that would fit and then counted a real box only has 1/2 that number in! What a rip off so we e-mailed Mr Nestle and he replied! He explained it was all about the weight.
    So many chn draw round the box and smartie on white boards, the MA counted across the box then up the side so they diffrentiated themselves well.