1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Challenges in teaching SEN

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by monaser, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I am here to start a very different discussion. I am the mother of a young boy on the autism spectrum. As most parents, I have been working with my son since he was a baby, and have found it very frustrating working with him on educational softwares that were designed with a shotgun approach. When teaching children with SEN, as I am sure you are all very well aware, a shotgun approach does not work. This has led me to the conclusion that there is a need for a software that is personalised for a child's individual needs. It is now my dream to develop such a software that makes a real difference to SEN teachers and their students.
    I need help from all the experienced, passionate and dedicated SEN teachers that visit this forum. To take this forward, I need feedback on the sort of challenges that SEN teachers face in their everyday work. This will not only help me, but will also help aspirant teachers get an insight into the challenges they will face when teaching students with SEN. I am interested in all challenges, big and small. Thanks

2. I am here to start a very different discussion. I am the mother of a young boy on the autism spectrum. As most parents, I have been working with my son since he was a baby, and have found it very frustrating working with him on educational softwares that were designed with a shotgun approach. When teaching children with SEN, as I am sure you are all very well aware, a shotgun approach does not work. This has led me to the conclusion that there is a need for a software that is personalised for a child's individual needs. It is now my dream to develop such a software that makes a real difference to SEN teachers and their students.
    I need help from all the experienced, passionate and dedicated SEN teachers that visit this forum. To take this forward, I need feedback on the sort of challenges that SEN teachers face in their everyday work. This will not only help me, but will also help aspirant teachers get an insight into the challenges they will face when teaching students with SEN. I am interested in all challenges, big and small. Thanks

3. Biggest challenge - probably non-readers who have age-appropriate comprehension & maths skills. It's very difficult for them to access most software without support, not just for language work but for maths/topic etc.

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Screen-readers?

5. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

What do you mean by 'shotgun'?
    I've watched children with marked problems learn quite complex software programs - I think Beep is the name of one - with lots of games which are learning tasks. The key to any sort of success has to achieve these basics: (a) only let them access the ones that are useful and (b) find a way to stop them zipping from one task to another w/o any time spent in purposeful activity.
    For children with ASD, The Transporters CD is amazingly popular and there is a disk of activities which start at a low level. The actual stories require quite a level of language comprehension but they still hold children you wouldn't expect to stay focused because the content is targeting their needs with the sort of characters they like plus visual treats like wheels!

6. Having something that you only need to buy one set of but will appeal to the whole class - thinking of the fact that likes and passions are very different and sometimes one child will like transport and another dinosaurs and neither is willing to play a game or activity in the one they don't like!
    Have you had a chance to look at Education City - some of their ideas are quite good?