1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Challenge me to find a cheaper flight for your holiday!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, May 15, 2008.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter

If you're checking this Egyptiangirl.
    Son and his wife have to travel from Edinburgh to Genoa, Nevada (near Lake Tahoe) on January 26th 2013 and return on Thursday (31st) or Friday (1st Feb).
    BA are quoting approx £650 (return each) for flights: Edinburgh - Heathrow - LA - Reno/Tahoe
    They then have to find their way to Genoa from Reno airport.
    Don't worry if you are too busy - just curious if that is the best deal - seems pretty good to me.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Egyptiangirl - they have booked with BA - so please don't spend any time looking for better prices.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Did the Easyjet to Amman and back, not bad as I paid for speedy boarding, but had to be in seats and belted 45 mins before landing in Amman and after take off from there, reason, flying in Israeli airspace, so no access to the loos, even the cabin crew had to be belted in.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Well, well, well ....

5. In the Christmas holidays I am going to Vancouver with my husband, flying First Class, and we will pay £173 each in total for the privilege. How?
    He's a commercial pilot and we're using one of our free tickets. No kids either, thanks to my fabulous sister who is looking after them. This perk makes up for the fact he is overseas for 18 days a month!

6. Lol

7. Huh?! Do you know the purpose of this thread?!

Have a nice flight! :)

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

It's not a flight I am after, but a train journey: can you manage that?
    I and 2 teenage girls need to leave the South East of England (can easily get a lift to Ashford) and arrive at Montpelier, Beziers or Agde by train and then be able to collect a hire car.
    We need to travel on Saturday 10th August and return by the same (or similar) route a week later on 17th August.
    I do not want to change trains in Paris (as this would involve changing stations), but anywhere else would be fine (inc changing in Lille as the 2 stations are a mere 500m apart!).
    What can you find for me?

9. Yes - of course I do. But can you beat it?! (Tongue in cheek).... If you know someone who works for a "major scheduled airline" then they can sell "Hotline" tickets to family and friends at a discount. It's another way of passing on discounts and selling extra seats. If teachers have friends who work in the airlines, it could be worth a discussion over a glass or two. Just a thought. :). All staff with the big carriers have the ability to do this if so inclined. Thought it might help folks, that's all.

10. The problem with trains to the continent is that there is a monopoly so very unlikely to find a variation in prices then buying direct.

I could be wrong though!

Sorry

11. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

I am struggling with where to go for a week in the summer this year. Last year was Vegas , wohoo, but the budget won't stretch that far this year, lol.
    The year before we went to Santorini and stayed in Kamari and loved it!!!!! Does anyone know of anywhere similar somewhere else? e.g Spain etc? We don't have children and are too old and sensible for club 18-30's, lol.
    Ideally we would like somewhere relaxing, local eateries/taverners etc for nights out but no nightclubs.
    Looking at flying out either 3/4th August, thanks.

12. I can't really recommend specific places within a country others may be able to. But these will also determine where you go...

What's your budget?
    How far do you want to fly?
    What board?
    Do you want a hotel or villa or?
    Are you looking for beach/pool/cultural sites/rural etc?

13. If you like Greece, try Kefalonia. This year were going to Lesbos. Only one Uk flight a week so totally relaxed and quiet. Kefalonia has a nice atmosphere. Tavernas busy in the evenings. We stayed in Lourdas where there is a beach bar and went for drinks before dinner, but no nightclubs! We also found Kefalonia was more aimed at adults so not many children and no young adult groups either. More expensive than some other islands though. Think Samos is also well recommended.

14. Can you help me?
    Flying from Manchester to Malaga 14th May returning 21st May
    Thank you!

15. Of course, what is your best price so far?

16. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Thanks for the suggestion, looks good from the quick look i have taken. Off to do more research.

17. Think it's £287 return for 2 with Monarch!

18. For your dates Monarch seems cheapest. I don't know if you included baggage in your price but this is what I suggest...

Use code BIG 15 which takes £15 pound off each person

Use cashback site I.e topcashback to get 1% back. Not much but if you're booking then why not?! So £2.27 back in your pocket

Total without bags £227.96

19. [​IMG]Thank you so much!!

20. You're welcome. I enjoy it and I appreciate people thanking me once I've found something. It doesn't always happen!