1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

challenge in maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by delilah2007, Jun 15, 2019.

1. delilah2007

delilah2007 New commenter

i want to do a maths problem solving for observation and I wanted to arrange children in mixed ability groups. However, I have one child who is very gifted in this area. I know how to differentiate but I don’t want him working on his own. Any ideas how I could overcome this or would you just set different work? Thanks in advance.

2. stressed.kath

stressed.kath New commenter

I suppose it depends on the activity but could he work in a group but be tasked with writing instructions suggesting to others (not the children he is working with) how to approach the task. He could make a prediction about what he thinks the outcome might be and explain why he is predicting that outcome. He could then be tasked with noting any misconceptions. If he is really able and you are in one of the higher year groups, he could even be tasked with acting as the teacher and asking probing questions to get the group thinking. Then he will still be in a group but doing something that is a step up.

3. delilah2007

delilah2007 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply!!