1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chalk and talk

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tanya109, Nov 10, 2018.

1. tanya109

tanya109 New commenter

Hello everyone.
    This has been bothering me for a while and I wonder if you could all help me.
    I currently work in a good school but I am struggling with the belief system of my HOD.His believe is that all teaching should be done on the whiteboard and that teachers should be chalking and talking. There is a norm withing the department that teacher that uses PowerPoint presentations within the department are ineffective. This is really eating me up as it is the first school that I have worked in where this has come up so I m struggling to come to terms with his idea. Any idea how to deal with this and any suggestions for people that have experience d such?

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

He’s been radicalised by the trads on Twitter. It is perfectly fine to believe this and it’s his right. The way against this is to use his pet trad theories against him E.g Cognitive Load Theory CLT.

Say lots of people are finding that dual coding (displaying carefully designed slides while you teach, google this) helps remove the extraneous load on the working memory and helps the students learn more effectively. This is drawn from Sweller's work who has been cited by Spielman in her new OFSTED framework. If you want to make a HOD twitch cite WOW stuff,

By only doing chalk and talk, he is adding extraneous load to the working memory and his teaching will not be leading to a germane load. You suggest the department explore CLT through teaching lessons using a series of well designed slides.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What- chalking on white board?
    so all their lessons look like this?

4. Marshall

Marshall Senior commenter

I 'chalk and talk' on a powerpoint or prepared slide!

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Mmm, do you think we can swap schools I am on a "support plan" partly because there has been a complaint of too much board work. (hate PowerPoint and our prepared ones are def overly long and frequently wrong)

It doesn't help when the white board and the screen are one and the same so switching is awkward and time consuming (there is no blanking function)

Mrsmumbles, PeterQuint and tonymars like this.
  6. drek

drek Lead commenter

Why didn't they mention this policy when they interviewed you for the job? You would probably have looked elsewhere. Utter balderdash.
    It's up to the individual particularly if your room has a smartboard.
    Say your writing is illegible and students with send would struggle to read it.
    Would be the truth in my case. Lol
    And that behaviour is more manageable with font 40 instructions on display.
    It's a teaching tool not a managerial one.

7. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Ay and the great god Ofsted now say they don't mind talk and chalk as it is as valid as any other method.

steely1, peter12171 and pepper5 like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Senior commenter

Our Clevertouch screens are great but not so user friendly so we have a normal write on whiteboard next to them. Works great!

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I like chalk and talk - at least sometimes and the talk is two-way. Students seem to like it as well.

Is it coming back into fashion???

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

chalk and talk is the bread and butter of teaching but not the jam and honey of it.

Its all about balance.

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Get him to observe you.
    There's no greater to challenge to belief than empirical demonstration.
    Go watch him too. Maybe there's some good in chalk that you never knew about.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  12. amybwinnifred40

amybwinnifred40 New commenter

You could hit him with the all-powerful buzzword - differentiation!
    According to the principle of differentiation (that we are all supposed to be following because it's specified in the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers), we should be using a variety of teaching strategies in order to best cater for the variety of learning needs, strengths, weaknesses and interests of our students.
    Good luck and best wishes.

pepper5 and Mermaid7 like this.
  13. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

You mean we can’t do chalk and talk anymore?
    Whoops!!!

14. FredfromFrance

FredfromFrance New commenter

Press 'B' when Powerpoint is running, it blanks the screen.

15. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

PowerPoint slides enable better pace and timing of sessions, plus enables teachers to sidetrack - if needed - and use the chalk and talk method.

16. tanya109

tanya109 New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. I can definitely see this from different point of view. I shall see how well I adapt and get used to this moving forward. I can do a bit of both at the moment anyway and I was just very unhappy with how staff automatically gets labelled as incompetent because they choose to be more mordern and use ppt slides. Unfortunately no one is brave enough to address this where I am.
    Thanks again for the much diversed sharee opinion on this.

17. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

Wow. I initially read your post in a way that said they were pushing PowerPoint as a part of chalk & talk. A re-read now cleared that one up.

My reaction is utter disbelief! Chalk and talk is fine as a part of a greater teaching toolset. A lot of my time is spent discussing, using PwerPoints, Teamd and Class Notebook. I'm under no illusions that my lessons are OK and maybe I should do more groupwork but to only do chalk & talk is unreasonable.

"Chunking" will be the next big thing soon enough... :'(

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Memory works better when there's an emotional component. We remember things that have an impact.

If you use the same method consistently you're not going to get any impact. You need variety. You need words. Pictures. Sometimes a dramatisation. Sometimes a visit. A film clip. Something that produces a visceral response. A lively, passionate, ardent chalk and talker can have that effect. But even the best of them will want to break it up with slides and clips and all sorts of things!

How do you keep yourself interested? Don't people want to share? I might be talking about Caesar's first British Invasion. I will still probably want to show this.

No historical accuracy. Doesn't matter. Just makes it more vivid. And if I then scrawl 55BC over it in big letters? It might just stick in the memory.

upload_2018-11-10_11-9-25.jpeg

afterdark, agathamorse and saluki like this.
  19. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

You didn't specify your subject.

If you teach Maths and work in my department for example and want to move away from chalk and talk, I would like to know why. All teaching methods have their advantages and disadvantages. A mixture of them with more emphasis on the method that works best for the teacher, students and the subject itself, imo, is the most beneficial thing to do.

If you teach Drama for example then I would just move school :)

Shedman and grumpydogwoman like this.
  20. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I do a bit of chalk and talk and I teach in ks1. The kids are as engaged by it and learn as well from it as they do from power points, role play, practical activities, puppets or whatever else you might do. However, I wouldn't do it all day, every day and it really depends what subject you are teaching.

border_walker and grumpydogwoman like this.