1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chair for ASD child

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by anon4582, Apr 25, 2012.

1. I believe you can get a chair with only two legs on sensory websites. Not too sure how that would fit in with H&S though. Think it was for fidgeting and to help with posture. The sit & move cushion was a good idea or you can get a ball chair but they are expensive.

2. kate harvey

kate harvey New commenter

Can also reccomend these cushions. I have used a brand called "Move and Sit"

3. You can get chairs which are like physio balls but have arms and are more stable which may help. The rocking on the chair is probably giving the child some kind of sensory feedback, I.e. the feeling of 'falling' you could introduce this is a different way, e.g. A trampoline and this may help with the chair situation.
    Hope this helps

4. Thank you sj19876, I think you're right, it's seems to be the 'falling' sensation that he likes. He is <u>never </u>still, and bounces around the room. He likes being held tightly and will ask for a squeeze (tight hug). We have a weighted jacket for him which helps occasionally, but we need to get the chair situation under control.

5. The best way to use a weighted jacket is for no more than twenty minutes at a time and to use it to provide extra sensory feedback, so use it during physical exercise. You may wish to try having short bursts of physical exercise with weighted jacket throughout the day, it does not always have to be a weighted jacket p, a cheaper version is a rucksack with weights (should be no more than 5% of the child's body weight) running around a track can be structured with hair bobbles o n the wrist, they take one off each lap so you set how many laps you want them to do, trampoline if you can get one, walking, etc. all this may help with sitting with the right chair.

6. Yep, weighted jacket only used for 20 mins at a time. I think you're right about the physical exercise, it's obviously something he needs as he is never still.