1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CfE Workload - more the result of ignorant peer pressure among teachers than anything else?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by morrisseyritual, Jun 11, 2015.

1. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

We're doing tonnes of assessment that we find we never had to do. SQA motored an unnecessary bulk of that - but we're spurred on by colleagues peeking over our shoulders to check everything is ok in our garden regardless of whether they are tending theirs. Has a combination of "Childhood Whispers" and hearsay dogged much of CfE implementation? Will this continue because we're all relying on others to read the report on tackling it?

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Good points morrisey.

If only we had the collective courage to do 35 hours per week and simply . . .

STOP WORKING BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT GETTING F U C K I N G PAID FOR IT!!!

We should stop running all these volunteer clubs like trampolining, science, dance etc because . . .

YOU ARE NOT GETTING F U C K I N G PAID FOR IT!!!

Can you honestly imagine any other job where staff actually volunteer to work for nothing? I'm on 35 hours from August . . .

PS My union rep circulated the Tackling Bureaucracy report to members but I do wonder how many people read it.

3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

[​IMG]

For a profession that requires education to a minimum of Degree standard, teachers can be right fuc**ng stupid at times

If was a HT's memo on PRD or working groups they would definitely read it. And sign up to the **** requested.

We are our own worst enemy. I despair at times. I need a holiday.

4. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

I have issues with the idea that we are all doing 50hrs +. In my school at least 50% of teachers are walking out 5/10 min after the bell. they come in on the bell. 9-3 is not a 35 hour week it is a 27.5 hr week. (I have taken 30min off for lunch) I do not believe that these people are going home and doing another 20 hrs at home. Why do I think that? I have been in the class when they have attempted a lesson. There are a number of teachers putting in long hours and working hard. We all know that there are a lot of teachers not doing this. Have a think about your school, put a number as to how many are not doing the 35 hours never mind the 50+.

5. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Most of ours do. The HE teachers and PE probably don't have the same marking commitment as the more literature-heavy subjects, but they always end up doing extra stuff and clubs with the kids.

6. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Being able to leave early is one of the few perks of the job. We can beat the worst of the traffic, pick up kids, do a bit of shopping, etc. then do some marking, planning or professional reading at home. Judging how hard-working a teacher is by the amount of time they spend in the building is misguided. Often the people who take advantage of 'place and time' conditions are the ones who have more plates to keep spinning.

7. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

MCCrone will be used as it should be/abused as it should not - and, like the welfare system, I could care less about the "cheats" of the system than the needy/voiceless people it is helping. Let's not go there!

8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Personally, I don't McCrone it very much but when I do I almost always don't do any work. Like most of us working >35 hours per week I don't see anything wrong with that.

9. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

No - nothing wrong with that (TIME and place) as long as the work is done as some point.