1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CfE reporting in Primary

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by CanuckGrrl, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Any feedback welcome.
    The reason I ask is that we have been told to produce upwards of 1000 words per child, without a comment bank, and no copy-pasting allowed: Each report must be written "from the heart." For a class of 30, the amount of writing is roughly equal to one-third of a 400 page novel.
    Is this a normal workload?

2. How on earth are you expected to do that for every child - a ridiculous request (sorry had a bad day!!) We're tweaking our current reports and putting in both the 5-14 and new CfE levels, and it definitely won't be anywhere near 1000 words. This surely is not reasonable and I wonder where the idea came from? Please keep us posted

3. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Here's hoping they don't have the parents sobbing uncontrollably!
    The problem with reports is that we are expected to give parents an accurate account of their children, and how they are performing, without totally demoralising them. Here are a selection of report comments which can be used without stating what you would actually like to say:
    A born leader ... Runs a protection racket.
    Easy going ... Bone idle.
    Lively ... Thoroughly disruptive.
    Good progress ... If you think his/her work is bad now, you should have seen it a year ago.
    A sensitive child ... Never stops whining.
    Reliable ... Grasses on his mates.
    Expresses himself confidently ... Cheeky little b*st*rd.
    Has had a lot of minor illnesses ... Truants regularly.
    Friendly ... Never shuts up.
    Easily distracted ... Hasn't produced a decent piece of work all year.
    Works better in a small group ... Daren't take my eyes off him/her for a second.
    Does not accept authority easily ... Doesn't like to be told what to do.
    Often appears tired ... Stays up all hours watching horror movies.
    Good with his hands ... Light fingered.
    Independent-minded ... Totally obstinate.
    Inclined to day-dream ... In one ear, out the other.
    Reads well aloud ... In love with his/her own voice.
    A vivid imagination ... Never short of an excuse.
    Often needs guidance ... Never out of the HT's office.
    Easily influenced ... The class fall guy.
    Is easily upset ... Spoilt rotten.

Only joking, of course, the pupils I have taught have always been a credit to their parents. [​IMG]

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Madness. Wikipedia says that the average person is 19 words per minute for composition. Do the math.
    How much time is allowed for report writing in your school working time agreement? I'll bet it's a lot less than the answer to the sum above! If so, your union rep and staff to create merry hell.
    Are there agreed guidelines in your local authority re reporting? (CfE Reporting guidance is available via LTS / CfE website.) If not, I'd approach your local union secretary and ask for the matter to be raised on your LNCT with a view to common sense prevailing.

5. We've ditched the big end of year report and now put out mini end of term ones. It means a good week of work going in to report writing at the end of term. Must take about an hour per pupil?
    Much easier to write though, only have to think about what has been achieved that term, more focused on pupils progress and gives parents feedback on a more regular basis. Not sure it would work in every school but it does for us.

6. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Yes, you would think so.
    Unfortunately, we are living in the age of personal learning plans so I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone would think it was a good idea to have completely personalised reports for each and every pupil.
    As has been said there is only so much time available for writing pupil reports and this should be agreed in advance. One thousand words per pupil is clearly totally unrealistic given the size of classes and the time available. Is the HT in question really intending to read them all and give meaningful feedback? I doubt it.
    General statements about the class and group work covered with some individual comments is all that is required. The rest can be discussed at parents' evening.

7. Thanks for your replies here and previously, fly. Your posts are always a delight to read, wise and sensible. [​IMG]
    On this point...
    Would the voice of reason sounded so clearly in my school. When I taught in Canada, all reports were written during the last couple of weeks of school in June. sometimes even in the last few days. They were brief, succinct summaries of where the children were academically, how hard they'd worked, and how well they'd got on with others. In my school here, we are expected to start writing our monster end-of-year essay-reports now, in March, because they take so long. Some teachers plan to get a lot of the work done during the April holiday. Utter farce.

8. When I was busy writing reports my dad put up my great-grandad's report from 1895. Letters next to each subject "E" for Excellent and space for Remarks big space but this teacher just wrote "Truly a magnificent report"

9. And equally a work of fiction. My son attends a secondary school which has taken CfE reporting to heart: what this means, unfortunately, is that you can never tell how he is doing in any real sense. One subject praised him for years, and described all the topics he had "experienced", until wham! General Foundation.

10. I was taken to task for using the word "excellent" in my reports and advised to "tone it down" so as not to give parents "the wrong impression." We are also required to couch even the worst news about behaviour or attainment in relentlessly positive terms. Thus CfE reporting reflects the curriculum itself: all cotton wool

11. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

We're the same with the woolly reporting.. Everything that personalises a report and makes it meaningful is removed. But with over 120 kids In my classes, and I have to write two reports for each per year, I embrace the copy-paste and even at that it takes me hours per year group. Time was I could do a set of handwritten reports in a period. Now it's nearer 4, assuming Click n' Go works. Farcical. And I consider myself an adequate typist.. I feel really sorry for some colleagues.

12. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

I dropped Mrs Dom at her school at 07.30 this morning. She won't get home until 1800hrs at least. It's report time again. I hate to bring it back to unions again but the issue of teachers' working time has not been successfully tackled by any union in the past decade. Partly due to our lack of unity, I suspect.
    Time for all the unions to get together and really push the 35 hour week as the norm for ALL teachers. If it can't be done in 35 hours then it can't be done.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This has to be the way forward, if at all possible.
    And not just on this issue.

14. persiankat

persiankat New commenter

That was the biggest complaint from parents at parent's night last week. No clarity in the reports as to how their child was actually progressing.

15. kate250486

kate250486 New commenter

an i was told some of my reports were too accurate!

16. kate250486

kate250486 New commenter

reports take me weeks to write and our new system of sending termly ones as well as spring ones means i am writing reports all the time! i feel like my work load has doubled.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why are you restarting a thread from 2011? How does a new poster even find such as old thread?