1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CfE, National 4 for Languages

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by ciara5, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Can I ask what Languages Departments are doing from May 2012 when Standard Grade is phased out? Are you going with Access 3/ Int 2/ Higher until clearer guidance is given on National 4 and National 5? Or are you developing your own assessments?

2. Can I ask what Languages Departments are doing from May 2012 when Standard Grade is phased out? Are you going with Access 3/ Int 2/ Higher until clearer guidance is given on National 4 and National 5? Or are you developing your own assessments?

3. Hi

In my MFL dept., we decided to move on to int1/2/Higher courses a couple of years ago, dropping forever Standard grade. I must admit that the transition has not proved as positive as we thought for the int1 cohort as French was still compulsory. However, now it is optional (unfortunately for our jobs), it seems that the in1 students are doing int1 because they want to do it and therefore should be working towards being successful. We hope that our results will put their choice in a better light.
    Int1/ 2 do not offer the safety net Standard Grade did to this group of pupils who don't really care about French and/or are too poor. Personally, I still believe there is a little place for Standard Grade somewhere between Access 3 and Int1 for this particular group.
    As for the new Nat4/5 assessments, it will probably be down to classroom teachers to make up the stuff when time comes.

4. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

If it's anything like primary, you'll be told it's all on GLOW, and find a load of photos of pupils sitting round tables with French flags on as examples of excellence!!