1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Certifications for ICT Teachers

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Hi

Ok, so last year i took a middle leaders development program and i'm now looking at gaining additional qualifications for the next year.

Teaching (i think) is a wierd vocation. When i worked in IT you looked for certifications that suited your job, so if i was a networker, i'd do CCNA or MCSE, but now i'm in teaching i'm not sure.
    Should i look at additional certification and would this enhance my prospects in the job market or in my teaching career? what would you recommend?
    I'm really happy doing CPD courses of days here and there, but i'd also like courses that 'lead' to something.

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Hi

Ok, so last year i took a middle leaders development program and i'm now looking at gaining additional qualifications for the next year.

Teaching (i think) is a wierd vocation. When i worked in IT you looked for certifications that suited your job, so if i was a networker, i'd do CCNA or MCSE, but now i'm in teaching i'm not sure.
    Should i look at additional certification and would this enhance my prospects in the job market or in my teaching career? what would you recommend?
    I'm really happy doing CPD courses of days here and there, but i'd also like courses that 'lead' to something.

3. Why do you want the certificates and what will you use them for in your future? Obviously you won't need an extra certification above your outstanding teaching and management skills to be a head of department, so really you should be looking at whole school issues and CPD in that direction if you want to move into senior management in the future. No certifcates will help with that I'm afraid, your experience is far more valuable!!!
    However, if you'd just like to expand your skills to make you more employable as an ICT teacher in other schools, why not look at joining Moodle Meets, TeachMeets, CAS etc and get involved in something specific that all schools will need in the future. The more skill you can show with these sort of things, the more likely you'd be snapped up!