1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Certificates of Good Conduct

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by melchora, Oct 18, 2019.



  1. Hi colleagues Hope you are fine. I was offered a part-time job in July. I started my new job to fin

    1 vote(s)
  2. Hi colleagues Hope you are fine. I was offered a part-time job in July. I started my new job to fin

    1 vote(s)
  1. melchora

    melchora New commenter

    Hi colleagues

    Hope you are fine. I was offered a part-time job in July. I started my new job to find out that now they request me a Certificate of Good Conduct. When I have been living in the country for 10 years. I already had been issue one which I left it in my old school. The admin there is no longer at that school and can not find the copy!.
    The process cost £360 pounds as it needs to be crtificate by the Minister of Interior and Education.
    Somewhere else I read that Certificate of Good Conduct. If you have never lived in the UK or have lived outside the UK for a continuous period of 6 months or more in the past 5 years you will need to provide a criminal record check from the country(ies) that you have lived in during that period.

    Could someone let me know please?

    Thanks in advance,
  2. 576

    576 Established commenter

    It's normal to want to know you're not a criminal.
    It's normal to want a recent police check so even if the old school could find one, it may be 'out of date'.
    I would expect the school to cover the cost, as it is them who want this.
    Have you asked about this?
  3. melchora

    melchora New commenter

    Thanks so much for your reply. Really useful
  4. FrankWolley

    FrankWolley Star commenter

    What does your union say? (You ARE in a union, aren't you? ;))
    Laphroig and mothorchid like this.
  5. Corvuscorax

    Corvuscorax Star commenter

    it is normal to need a police check from each country you have worked in, to get a job in the UK
  6. sbkrobson

    sbkrobson Star commenter

    This forum here-

    is especially for overseas qualified teachers.
    As well as considering the good answers already given, perhaps you could move the thread or repost your question over there as the foot fall might be more representative of people who have experienced the same request

    In the mean time, there is some generic info here if you have not already seen it.Not sure if it applies to you,
  7. sbkrobson

    sbkrobson Star commenter

    Afterthought-this is the second post I have seen in as many days where conduct checks, criminal or otherwise, have been raised after a person has actually started in the workplace.
    What's going on? Surely to be fair to all concerned, these checks should be done before even beginning?

    Specific to this particular thread, the issue that if the checks and certificates cannot be provided, of what consequence is this to the person who has already started working?
  8. Corvuscorax

    Corvuscorax Star commenter

    I think this Op can get the required paperwork, it is just the cost that is the issue, as I read it
  9. singinintherain

    singinintherain New commenter

    I lived in Mexico and was thankfully offered a job before my return. The UK school told me in advance I would need one. They are free in Mexico, however I had to get it translated, so that cost about £40.

Share This Page