1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CertEd/PGCE Level 4 0r 5?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by stevesgh, Sep 23, 2006.

1. i am just starting my second year on my Cert Ed qualification which i have always understood to be a level 4 qualification. However a colleague of mine has read somewhere it is classed as a level 5 Cert Ed level 6 PGCE, she thinks she might of read it on the IFL web site.
    can anyone confirm?

2. i am just starting my second year on my Cert Ed qualification which i have always understood to be a level 4 qualification. However a colleague of mine has read somewhere it is classed as a level 5 Cert Ed level 6 PGCE, she thinks she might of read it on the IFL web site.
    can anyone confirm?

3. finfin

finfin New commenter

Mine was a level 4, but I know of 1 university who says their cert ed is a level 5. I think it depends on the institution, this caused problems for me when I moved to my current job!

4. As far as I know the full 7407 is a level 4 award, the Cert Ed has always been level 5 and a PGCE a level 6/7 depending on the HEI awarding it.

I think the confussion arises because up until 2001 the old NQF level 4 spanned the current levels 4, 5 and 6.

5. Have asked today and was told categorically that our Cert Ed, both years, is Level 4.

6. Then your teacher trainers should be taken out and shot for not having the faintest idea what they are talking about!

7. According to the TDA and QCA, PGCES can only be level 4 or 5.

Level 7 is a full Masters and 8 a PHd.

Where a PGCE is level 5, it is because it has some Masters level assignments.

8. Im just starting my 2nd Year and the Head of School told us last week that Y1 is Level 4 and Y2 is Level 5 and to stop moaning about the number of quotes we need to put in our assignments as at Level 5 we should expect it!!

9. All OTE in FE is currently asessed against the FENTO standards and students work to attain a recognised "Stage 3 Level 4 award".
    Hence
    7407 S1,2,3
    PGCE/CertEd first two stages in year 1 and stage 3 in year 2. FT pathway all 3 stages in one year.
    PGCEs currently work at H3 (new L5) in year 2 on at least one module & assignment; usually the research component.
    From September 2007 when the new SVUK standards come into 'force', and subject to ratification by SVUK as this is hotly contested amongst some HE teacher education providers, you'll all be taught at L5 with PGCEs working to L6 on some assignments.
    So; pity the poor brickies, chippies and hairdressers.

10. I despair I really do. The revised updated NQF which has been in circulation for some time categorises Cert Ed (foundation degree level) as level 5 and PGCE (graduate certificate) as level 6.

11. Hi alexander
    Please can you supply a link, the table I have still has Cert. Ed. as Level 4 (Cert. of Higher Ed).
    Thanks
    R

12. Hi ripitup try the QCA website I believe it is on there.

13. Hi alexander it says Cert Ed is Level 4

14. Hi ripitup. I think you may be getting confused by the Certificate in Higher education that appears at level 4 opposite the revised NQF framework. Cert He is defined in higher education terms as needing 120 CATS points at level 1 (level 2 is Diploma level and level 3 is honours degree level within this framework)

If you look at your university syllabus you will see that each module or unit has a points credit next to it (usually but not always 15) and the exact level at which it is pitched. In the case of the Cert Ed it is usually level 2. So if you achieve 120 points at level 2 you have the equivalent of either a HND, Diploma in Higher education or a foundation degree.

I hope that is clearer.

15. P.S All of these aforementioned qualification are clearly signposted as level 5 within the NQF.

16. Thanks Alex, good points well made.

17. Alex
    Thanks

18. You lot really call yourselves teachers with L4 & 5 quals, no wonder you get paod less than the rest of us. And to think, I used to have some sympathy. Get yourselves propoer quals, then you might be worth more!

19. Thanks for the advice Matthew.

Thanks for the link BWFC so this means Cert Ed is level 4.