1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Cert Ed, HSC and QTS. Similar questions, but....

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by Boo-teacher, May 30, 2011.

  1. Hi
    I have over 12 years teaching experience in PSHE, adult/community education, but I have recently acquired QTS post 16 by completing (finally) my Cert Ed. I don't have a degree, hence lack of PGCE, but I have the CE part.
    Question is this. Would this qualify me, with a bit of hefty research, to teach in post 16 on Health & Social Care?
    Thanks for any and all replies.


  2. Roboteer

    Roboteer New commenter

    I don't know about exact requirements in FE - as far as I know you need to have QTS but past that I don't know what they ask for.
    I have QTS as a Science teacher through the GTP scheme and have been teaching HSC at level 2 last year and level 3 this year. For both myself and the other teacher delivering (in a school 6th form) our only care experience is that we both worked as care assistants as part-time jobs during A-levels/university.
    If you are interested in the field then perhaps ring up your local FE college and have a chat with the senior lecturer there to find out what they look for in lecturers.

    Good luck!
  3. Georgia99

    Georgia99 New commenter

    School 6th forms won't. They are being more flexible towards taking FE qualified lecturers but still insist on a degree.
    FE colleges do take lecturers without a degree but for Health and Social Care often insist on relevant professional experience such as being an ex Nurse or Social Worker. I studied Health and Social Care at my local FE college post 16 and all of the lecturers were ex Health and Social Care professionals.
    Look on the jobs section on this site, the Health and Social Care jobs are listed under the PSHE section. Check out the post 16 adverts and see what the person spec is. Also try fejobs.co.uk to check out person specifications for adverts on there. All colleges are different and some might value your experience as a lecturer.

Share This Page