1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cerebral palsy student... How to plan for learning?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jeltjie, Feb 20, 2018.

1. jeltjie

jeltjie New commenter

I have a student who has cerebral palsy. He has no fine motor skills so he can not write, can not manipulate a computer touchpad or mouse. He does not speak clear enough to use any voice recognition software. He does have an iPad but typing two words takes him nearly 20 minutes because he does not have enough fine motor control.

I am comfortable scaffolding and designing tasks for his curriculum level. But I am at a loss for how I get him to do anything independently. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

If he uses an iPad, I would have thought he would be able to yse a touch screen computer. Clicker 6 or 7 activities could be useful for your student. Do you use word banks on velcro which he could put together to record work? Although this depends on his reading ability. I guess letters could be used and lots of pictures... he could match sounds to pics on velcro and move on accordingly to words etc. Same idea for maths using numbers and objects.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

What curriculum level is he working at please? How old is he? Are you in a mainstream or a special school? What do you have available in school? Have you asked him for ideas. What did his previous teachers use?
    Land has a good suggestion about Clicker. Have you tried eye gaze technology? A word bar? sym writer? (using the grids, not just using it as a symbol generator)
    Maybe have a look through the advice pages of the Inclusive Technology catalogue (some very helpful articles there on how to assess what might work not just what is available) http://www.inclusive.co.uk/articles

4. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Eye Gaze perhaps?