1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cerebral Palsy- help

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by caroledoherty68, May 18, 2011.

1. It would really depend on the age of the little girl and how severe her cerebral palsy is.

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Every child is an individual and this is particularily so with CP kids.Gross and fine motor skill activities are usually needed. You may have to adapt paint brushes for sponges and pegs. Playdough, clay etc is useful for fine motor skills.Games for reading like dominoes, bingo or fishing for words and throw them back if they can't be read.Try and have outside support from Physio for advice.Look at IEP.

3. I agree with the other posters. It will depend on her age and ability! I support a girl with cerebral palsy in Year 3, she has a walking frame with wheels and splints on her ankles. I'm mostly there for physical support, she can walk without her walker but can be wobbly so its good to be there in case she goes over. With her walker she zooms around the playground like nothing can stop her. I help change her for P.E as her fine motor control is ok but not amazing. Look into pencal grippers to help with holding pencils.She has a cushion she sits on in class to help with posture and a sloped board to make it easier to write on.

I also do physio with her that is set by a physiotherapist although it helps that I used to do dance and gymnastics so know about body alignment so it might be worth researching that if its applicable. She used to do exercises like walking around the room pretending to be different animals e.g a bunny - doing bunny hops, or high stepping for a horse, or crawling like a cat.
    Also, I guess if she currently has a helper then speak to that person as much as possible! There will be temptations to do a lot of things for the child but a sense of independence needs to be encouraged and developed. E.g when shes changing for P.E I'll do her splints and shoes up while she does her t-shirt, whereas at the start of the year I did everything. She is absolutely amazing and I've had a lot of fun working with her as she is a character, as is her twin brother who also has CP but not as badly - he's a lot more mobile.

4. quadriplegic cerebral palsy. yes she does but there isnt much on there.

5. hello
    i too support a young person with cerebral palsy and started suporting him in year 7. its important that you have support from your SENCO. they need to help organise a physiotherapist to come in and asses her to see if she needs any physio input during her school day. it would also be a great idea to get in an occupational therapist, prefereably an educational one. they can help you adapt any classroom tools and also anything extra she may need at lunchtime (plate guards, adapted cutlery etc) we have a laptop at our school with adapted hardware which make it easier to input information from lessons and for homework.
    it might also be worth speaking to the PE department about how they intend to include her in games? they may need to buy extra equipment such as boccia balls or a parachute that all the pupils can participate in.
    it sounds like your in the same postition as i was a year and a half ago so any other questions, please do ask. I'm happy to help.
    K

6. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

I have worked with children with poor motor skills over the years and set up a scheme of work which can be adapted for individuals' needs. Here's the kind of exercises I have done and I mix some life skills in too (depending upon age and ability) like using kitchen equipment, pouring drinks, opening tins and packets, using a knife and fork, measuring ingredients, tying shoe laces, doing up zips and buttons, peeling fruits and vegetables, cooking a meal, using the washing machine and iron, sewing on a button, money, telling the time and lots more. The motor skills activities really help their performance with the practical life skills tasks and they enjoy the games. Once they have learned a few life skills, we do a special lesson which incorporates everything they have mastered in the form of a treasure hunt - you write a series of clues and plant them in various areas of the school. The clues have instructions on them to perform a practical task such as ' pour 4 glasses of water from the jug' and then tells them where to look for the next clue. For added excitement you can put a time factor in if the child is up to doing things within a time limit. The final clue will contain a prize. This lesson always goes down a treat. I had a Downs child literally trembling with excitement of it all last time and he performed really well too despite getting the shakes :D
    http://www.loveplayandlearn.com/2012/09/the-ultimate-list-of-fine-motor-skills-activities-for-children.html