1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Censorship on TES - a suggestion

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Mar 29, 2016.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I have noticed more and more threads are being censored and words removed. There are more words it appears we cannot use, too - and I get the feeling some are using this to try and get posters silenced. Bad.

So here's an idea. Can we not opt in or out of a 'insult' filter? (I know this from a car enthusiast's site I am on, so it can be done)

This means I can decide if I want to keep all 'offensive' comments, while TES and those who like to complain can still have them removed from public view.

How hard can it be? It would then allow those of us wanting to decide for ourselves if we are offended to do so, while others still can decide for themselves to be offended, too.

A site of happy bunnies!

install likes this.
  2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Or we could just not use offensive language in our postings.

3. cuteinpuce

Now that I've thought about it for 10 seconds or so, let me make a counter suggestion. If you wouldn't use the language in a job interview, don't use it on TES.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Ah, Cute, you'd be amazed at the language people use in job interviews.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

As they will no doubt point out at some point, it is their site and they get to decide what terminology is acceptable and what isn't.
    If they had private forums (not visible to the public) they might be persuaded by the suggestions in the opening post but I doubt it

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It isn't usually offensive. A post yesterday was censored for the term s p i c k and span

cissy3 likes this.
  7. Didactylos4

Contains american insult ;)
    It's not particularly selective is it?

8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Crikey.. So everyone should be in humourless,'' best bib and tucker'' mode?

No thanks!

(And weren't you arguing, at one point, that informal language, grammar and spelling should be the order of the day?)

Confused. (Genuinely)

9. cuteinpuce

Why do you need to be humourless in an interview?

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

TES wants posters who are like this

[​IMG]

No other alternatives are possible, we don't want the outside world coming into Miss Jean Brodie's classroom or job interview, no siree bob, we do not.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The americanism does not have a k in it.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I had w I l l y nilly starred out.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

You know what I find offensive on here? Being bombarded with dozens of stupid adverts.

14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

You don't. If you find yourself having to politely laugh at some 'suit's' cringy 'joke', then it's a barrel of laughs.

I've been to loads of job interviews over the past few years, and 'humour' isn't on anyone's priority list (although it should be when you see some of the job descriptions)

This forum used to have in its heading ''a place for teachers to let off steam'' and it would be sad to lose that.

Perhaps it's the analogy that displeases me, rather than the sentiment?

Mangleworzle and coffeekid like this.
  15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

A good insult is a joy to behold. I have even laughed at some given to me on here. But Nanny (aka thought police) knows best.

16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I would tell you how to get rid of them, but it would then prevent me from replying on the thread :D

17. Flere-Imsaho

I don't mind the adverts.
    Knee jerk sexism and Jockism offends me.

aspensquiver_2 and coffeekid like this.
  18. Didactylos4

True
    Hence my comment about how selective it is.
    Something that is of course easy to cure if they can find the time

19. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Lol at j erk!

Yep, offends me too, but I would tend against censorship, because I like to know, and counter, those sorts of things. Edit: (Down with these sorts of things :))

I have to confess, I'd never come across so much ''Jockism'' before I joined TES. I just don't get it.

20. Flere-Imsaho

Jerk? Really?
    No jerk chicken?
    A sudden jerk can't cause me to bang my elbow?
    And yet I bet I can call someone contemptibly foolish which is apparently the definition of the starred out word.

cissy3 likes this.