1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Censorship for children

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jazz2, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Bit more detail:
    http://www.sbbfc.co.uk/CaseStudies/SpiderMan

2. urban myth then the spiderman thing [​IMG]

3. I took a group of Yr 8s to see a 12A and I was shocked by some of the content, if I had seen the film before I would have taken Yr 10 instead. Had nightmares after of parents complaining (none did - but then again for most of the kids what was in the film was quite tame), still made me feel uncomfortable though.
    Part of the problem seems to be that films, games etc. that depict (what I would call) adult themes do so in a very 'streetwise' way but without any surrounding material - case in point, there are Yr 11s who think they know all about sex, however, haven't really got a clue about contraception. Wonder how many parents are happy for their children to watch 18 films but would be up in arms if Lady Chatterley's Lover was on the reading list for Yr 9?

4. Yes - double standards.
    I agree regarding the safety of your own home.
    I think ,because I wouldn't have taken my children to see the Bourne Identity in the cinema, I largely agree with the other comments. My children always liked 'Harry Potter' and our local cinema is a smallish rather lounge like affair where regular trips to the toilet by families are de rigeur, as is coffee and maltesers (! :)). In consequence, I could always have the youngest on my knee and as I have a large brood, we took up a whole row anyway. Bsically Harry Potter has become our yearly cinematic outing as otherwise it would be too expensive. What we will do after the last film is in question! I think it does very much the child. My first cinematic experience (which shows my age) was being taken to see 'Fiddler on the Roof' aged about 3. I thought there were actors behind the screen. When I eventually got bored (about 45 mins in), my dad took me to the beach :) leaving my mother in musical bliss.

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I'm pretty strict when it comes to telly and films and my kids - partly because I have to get up in the night when they have nightmares! so no dr who, no Harry potter - and I have to admit - when it's a film of a book I want them to read it first!! (which is hard, when big is ten and littlest is 5). I took them to see monsters and aliens at the cinema once (cos I thought I was denying them a life experienc - going to the cinema, that is!!) what a disaster! They were terrified and I had to take them out! Thankfully cinema gave me a full refund - it's not cheap- and we haven't been since! They (at the mo) prefer to watch films in the safety of home. It does bother me what they might see at someone else's house - but then, that's the same for all manner of behaviour and language), but they are growing up.... And hen there are the lads mags. Why oh why are they at child height on the way into my local supermarket?? It really bothers me that images of enhanced bodies are presented to my children, and that they mighty grow up with a completely distorted view of human bodies and sexuality. Remember the guy who was the patron of some pee-raphaelite painters? Divorced his wife because he was so shocked by her hairy naked state, and never consummated etc etc.

6. ruskin - but according to prog i heard on radio 4 (so it *must* be true [​IMG] ) that is a misinterpretation, and actually poor old effie's mum got the wedding date wrong and what appalled him (ghastly man, anyway imo) was that she was menstruating
    totally off topic - but son went thro a dreadful phase of nightmares, which i 'cured' by making him a dreamcatcher and nailing it up next to his bed - worked wonders! those native americans knew a thing or two!

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Nooooo! But then, didn't he know about the little visitor?? [​IMG]
    I suppose they'll eventually grow out of nightmares - and into a whole 'nother sort of dreams!!!
    How do others manage the watching habits of different age children? I don't want to rush my daughter, but my sons are ready for older stuff than she is. Perhaps I shall stick to a diet of musicals for the moment! Bit of the Blues Brothers....Grease....we already love Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty (despite the scary children catcher, of whom my dad could do an uncannily good impression), and no childhood is complete without the Sound of Music, frankly.