1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CELTA

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mandolin123456, Jul 7, 2020.

1. mandolin123456

mandolin123456 New commenter

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice re the CELTA course. I teach a subject in secondary school that is one of the core subjects and lends itself easily to teaching English as a foreign language. I have a new teaching position in September but am dreading it because I’m so tired of the politics etc that goes with teaching. I’ve already been off work for some time due to anxiety and am really worried about whether teaching in schools is actually for me. I’m thinking of leaving the profession and doing a course where I can stay in teaching but no longer in schools. So, I’ve done a lot of research into the CELTA course, I’ve had my interview and I have been accepted on the course and now I just need to pay and commit to the four weeks intensity of it. My husband and I are also thinking of perhaps leaving the UK at some point (not a certainty) and I feel like the CELTA combined with my teaching experience might stand me in good stead to get a teaching job overseas. What I would like to know is has anyone done the CELTA course and did you find it useful for furthering your career outside of teaching? I know this feels like a step back - doing CELTA after years of teaching in secondary schools but I’ve had enough. I love teaching, I love my subject and I love the enthusiasm of the students but I feel like it’s all been strangled by the politics in teaching over the last few years. I feel like teaching in schools may not be for me anymore. I’d appreciate any experience of someone who has taken the course and found it beneficial or not. Thank you in advance.

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I did the RSA Tefl cert which then morphed into celta. It was great. Do it. You are not likely to be offered jobs without it. With your QTS from UK, you'll be snapped up.

mandolin123456 likes this.
  3. mandolin123456

mandolin123456 New commenter

Thank you!