1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CELTA for the UK?

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by RTH80, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I'm currenty studying for my English degree with the intention of applying for a PGCE in Secondary English when I graduate.
    In the meantime, I'm looking at studying for CELTA. Mostly it would be for the education/experience of teaching, but also so it enables me to teach adults in the future should the need ever arise. (Or possibly, teaching adults in the summers for extra income.)
    What I wanted to know is, domestically, is the PGCE considered superior to CELTA? Is it possible to teach English as a foreign language to adults, inside the UK, with a PGCE? I'm guessing you can't, but I don't want to invest £1,200 into a CELTA qualification, only for a PGCE to come along and be superior to it.

2. I'm currenty studying for my English degree with the intention of applying for a PGCE in Secondary English when I graduate.
    In the meantime, I'm looking at studying for CELTA. Mostly it would be for the education/experience of teaching, but also so it enables me to teach adults in the future should the need ever arise. (Or possibly, teaching adults in the summers for extra income.)
    What I wanted to know is, domestically, is the PGCE considered superior to CELTA? Is it possible to teach English as a foreign language to adults, inside the UK, with a PGCE? I'm guessing you can't, but I don't want to invest £1,200 into a CELTA qualification, only for a PGCE to come along and be superior to it.

3. Hi there,

In my mind the PGCE and CELTA cannot be compared very easily. There may be some companies/schools who are willing to take on trained teachers without CELTA and I've recently seen individuals advertising online for people to tutor them.
    However there are also many who only want CELTA qualified tutors, despite other teaching qualifications. I think it depends on the business. Just like some overseas schools take on native english speakers who are not formally qualified to teach.

I think CELTA would be a great way for you to gain experience and earn money. I was very close to taking the course this time last year, but felt that I couldn't afford it and didn't see any jobs advertised. Since then I have come across a few, but I still believe I made the right decision for me.

Maybe you could contact some local companies/schools to see about their requirements. When I looked into summer camps in Europe, they all required CELTA.
    Do you think there are many opportunities where you live? You could also advertise in local shops or online to gain experience, some students just want to practise conversation skills.

Hope this helps a little at least.