1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Celeriac purée

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Feb 4, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

(Sorry to those of you who cannot get celeriac)
    I want to make a celeriac purée to go with my roast smoked gammon hocks on Sunday when we have the children's god parents coming for lunch. Any tips to make it special?
    [other veg = braised red cabbage, green beans, roast pots, snips, rots and shallots]
    H

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

(Sorry to those of you who cannot get celeriac)
    I want to make a celeriac purée to go with my roast smoked gammon hocks on Sunday when we have the children's god parents coming for lunch. Any tips to make it special?
    [other veg = braised red cabbage, green beans, roast pots, snips, rots and shallots]
    H

3. I find it very nice with some softened and caramised onions mixed in.
    And trust me on this - add a spoonful of runny honey.

4. Celeriac puree is heavenly, I'm afraid I just keep it simple with butter, milk and seasoning. Enjoy your meal.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Some roasted garlic mixed in makes any puree extra special.
    I am going to try a celeriac dauphinoise tomorrow. My favourite vegetable.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I prefer it simple, with lots of butter, full fat milk, salt and freshly ground white pepper and a hint of freshly grated nutmeg.
    I also find that for a truly light, fluffy puree, it's better to steam the celeriac rather than boil it, as you minimise the water content. This also preserves the full flavour of the veg! I do exactly the same for parsnip puree as well.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

...and which utensil do you use?
    • fork
    • ricer
    • masher
    • whisk
    • processor
    • liquidiser
    ??????????

8. Masher.

9. I have to agree with nick, btw. Steaming gives a much better result than boiling.

10. I always steam my veg, especially if I'm going to make a mash/puree with it. I never use a masher, the electric whisk is my tool of choice!

11. Now, here we differ (what a surprise on this forum, we all have our methods!)
    I don't like puree which has been whisked - I find it tends to go a bit slimey.
    I prefer elbow grease and the good old fashioned masher, eased with a good **** of butter!

12. btw, I always steam my veg too. I cannot remember the last time I boiled veg!

13. I've found that the star of potatoes, Maris Pipers, mash beautifully both with an electric whisk and good old fashioned elbow grease. If one overwhisks then yes, slimy puree is the result [​IMG]

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

I mashed and mashed - lumps in wet: popped it in processor and seems fine now!

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I always use a processor to puree root veg. Much less effort than a mouli and much smoother than with a masher. A ricer seems to make the puree end up curiously wet. I puree them until totally smooth in the processor and then beat the dairy stuff in with a wooden spoon, beating lots of air in in the process to make it lovely and light.
    The only veg I don't use a processor for is potatoes, given the gluey-ness that it results in. Always use a ricer for mashed or pureed spuds.

16. ljr

ljr New commenter

I recently found my ricer in the back of the cupboard & I've fallen in love with it all over again!
    Sometimes I serve the veg up just as it comes away from the ricer, and other times I'll beat the mixture
    with milk / butter. My masher is feeling quite neglected.

17. You are all distinctly lacking in elbow grease!