1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CCTV with audio recording in classroom

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by catch222, Feb 16, 2011.

1. catch222

catch222 New commenter

Ours are, and it's been great in terms of a) accountability, b) evidence of pupils vandalising etc.
    I am happy with the policy and have no reason to want different, That said it was a shock and something terrible to see for the first week my technician highlight a vandalism incident going on in my class when I thought I was keeping the class under good control!

Oops

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Not sure about audio being needed but they have been invaluable for us to prove discretions (?) by kids in the past, and in fact on 2 cases today.
    I think the problem is that some teachers may feel the cameras will be used to spy on their teaching methods. The reality is that no-one has the time to do this and they only get called into action when a problem occurs.
    On a personal note, I wanted to stream footage of my classes on the net as a bit of a novelty for parents to see but deemed not to be sensible (child protection issues and all that). Please don't now post about my judegement skills as a professional - there are bound to be a couple of experienced trolls who are thinking about it or some magical "first" time poster.

3. catch222

catch222 New commenter

DJPhillips funny you should say that because...

You're right streaming would be at best a novelty and at worse, a disaster! Do I really look like THAT in the classroom etc!?

4. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Until a couple of years ago we had access to the live feeds from our class cctv in our office (stopped due to child protection and data protection - where only one person in their own office could view any incidents on their own, equally creepy if you think about it).
    Anyway it was a great help in classroom management "Who did that? Oh, no-one? Right I'll have a look on the camera in the office"
    1. It got the little darlings behaving quickly
    2. It also identified those of lower intelligence who would do stuff and then pipe up "Can I see what I did?" like it was candid camera. Needless to say that the majority of those kids have spent some time at her majesty's pleasure