1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CCTV in the staffroom?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Maximus99, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Our headteacher has recently installed a camera IN the staffroom, and there are now more than 30 cameras around school. My question is simple is this allowed? common place? especially in the staffroom ? your thoughts plx

2. Our headteacher has recently installed a camera IN the staffroom, and there are now more than 30 cameras around school. My question is simple is this allowed? common place? especially in the staffroom ? your thoughts plx

3. Why?

What does the HT think you are doing in there? Is there and risk to staff from something/someone entering the staff room? Have there been lots of things stolen?

Honestly cant think of a reason why you'd need cctv in a staff room....

4. Me neither. Would be interested to hear the thinking behind it. Let's hope they don't install sound recorders too....

5. There was a break in once and a young kid got away with some 20p coins from the vending machine but it was at night and i doubt the cameras have night vision lol

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

People in our school have had things stolen if left in the staffroom. People have also broken in via the staffroom. So from that point of view, if we were installing CCTV, it would be daft not to put one in the staffroom.

However, not sure I'd want to be filmed scoffing my lunch and whinging on...

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Oh, no. I bet it's my staffroom. They've finally twigged who's been working their way through the term's Biscuit Rations during PPA.

8. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

May is it legal to install CCTV without permission? Do they not have to inform the teachers and the unions, etc because like CCTV in the classrooms it is not unauthoised spying on the teachers and other staff?

9. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

I meant to say before the computer went moody and acted up,
    may I ask, is it legal to install CCTV without the permission and co-operation of the teachers, other staff and the unions because it is a form of covert spying on staff, which could be the case if the staff are not inform of CCTV in the classroom.

10. If it was covert spying then the OP would not know about it and therefore wouldnt be posting about it.
    I would imagine the camera is rather obvious.
    As long as there is no sound recording to listen in to conversations then I dont see what the problem is...
    Unless you are the secret cake scoffer...

11. It's a perverse move unless there is an extremely good reason for it.
    I can't understand why the OP and colleagues would not have asked the head about it already - and objected!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Your school are stupid enough to put the entire term's biscuit allowance in the staffroom at the start of term???? Seriously????

13. Sorry im not a regualr poster does OP mean original poster as in me?
    Many people are afraid to challenge the head for a variety of reasons

14. it was not covert but there is a fine line between personal space and the lack of, ive never known a school to have cctv in the staffroom just wondered if anyone else had it in their school

15. no

never heard of it before

and yes I ate all of the biscuits, there it's out

16. My school's CCTV records sound and it is close to 10 years old. However, the cameras are in areas where there are likely to be security threats out of hours. I too can think of no reason to have CCTV in the staffroom.

17. Maybe to enforce the washing up rota, we all pretend to forget! Next it will be in the toilets - Headteacher at meeting: "Mr X! Two dumps on the 4th of May??? And neither in your PPA time...."