1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CCEA versus WJEC

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kathley, Mar 12, 2012.

1. kathley

kathley New commenter

Following the terrible AS reults we have just received for the January IT1 exam, we are looking at moving boards - frying pan and fire come to mind with AQA, Edexcel and OCR so we are looking at the CCEA - does anyone have any experience of using this board at AS/A2 level or willing to offer any helpful advice? Thank you.

2. kathley

kathley New commenter

Following the terrible AS reults we have just received for the January IT1 exam, we are looking at moving boards - frying pan and fire come to mind with AQA, Edexcel and OCR so we are looking at the CCEA - does anyone have any experience of using this board at AS/A2 level or willing to offer any helpful advice? Thank you.

3. There is no need for you to be getting terrible results from WJEC.

Even if the kids don't do so well in the ICT1 exam they should be scoring big in the practical part.

We are getting ALPS1 in a sink school.

There is a separate thread discussing this issue that is just drifting back from the front board at the moment - you should take a look there at the suggestions of djp - perhaps you could consider the materials he is offering? I can't vouch for their quality but they are working for him and others, I think

I find preparing kids for this is pretty easy.

4. We're having the same dilemma. In my opinion the WJEC have got themselves into a pickle. The criteria based coursework is too easy and after a few years everyone's wised up to how to get full marks. So,to compensate, they hammer the exam results. Looking at recent examiner reports for the whole cohort ICT1 average is just a grade E wheras ICT2 is grade B! But - try explaining that to irate parents and students (who now want to quit) in March!!

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

There is nothing wrong withe WJEC spec and jumping ship will not solve your problems. We had kids resit it in jan and they moved from an E grade average to a good B grade average. The solution is rote learning mark schemes in the main but if you want further advice then please feel free to email me dphillips1408 at hotmail dot com. It's not a great way to learn but it can be made interesting and we now have all 19 kids on for min B grades overall. I would like to think my resources on teach-ICT help but the key is the teacher getting there head around how to score the marks, switching to any other board means you still have to work that out and WJEC seem to return the best chance of success for kids nationally AFAICS

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

If you do want to find out if my material might be of use to your kids there is a free app of some of the stuff on the app store. Has 6 videos in total and you need to search for A level ICT lite