1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Causing injury!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Sarah_18, May 20, 2011.

1. I am an NQT and am still somewhat naive to the world of Drama teaching as oppose to workshop activities. This week I was leading and participating in a blindfolded trust exercise - partners leading blindfolded students around the room, manipulating their movements etc. I had began to lead one student and was encouraging him to come down to the floor,taking hold of his wrists and pulling him downwards. Whilst doing this the student lost balance, fell over and my watch scratched him as I tried to catch him. I had thought no more of this until one of his friends informed me the next day that I had "scratched his mate". My concern is that this could lead to parental complaints and upon reflection I can see that this was clearly not a task I should have involved myself in directly. I'm worried that this could be taken more seriously. Is this something I should concern myself over more and should I take it to parents/management myself?

2. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I would let your Head of Department know, just in case.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Sarah - I wouldn't panic too much - these things happen. If questioned your HoD should respond by informing parents/ head or whoever that health & safety policy in drama now includes that teachers and students remove all watches and jewellery.

4. Thank you. Probably just getting het up over nothing but I'm so conscious of my actions. The school's had a bad history so I don't want to be tarred with the same brush as previous employees!