1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cause for Concern - help?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by studentcrisis, Feb 14, 2019.

1. studentcrisis

studentcrisis New commenter

Hi all

I am in my training year. My first placement (a whole term, mixed year 1/2 class) went pretty well and there were no concerns, I was making good progress and really enjoying it.

I am five weeks into a ten week second placement in a school for students with autism and other learning disabilities and I’ve struggled with the style and context. I haven’t found it very supportive and my mentor has now officially put me on a Cause for Concern due to a lack of progress. I have struggled a lot here but I am now worried a c4c will go against me when applying for jobs?

I’m feeling really bad about it all, does anyone have any advice? I am sure when I go back to my main placement I won’t have the same issues so I’m not worried about passing the course.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Speak to uni/your training provider about your concerns about not being supported, and ask for their advice on how to overcome your placement issues.

When you apply for jobs no one will know anything about placements and grades, unless you tell them.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

No one knows anything about the c4c when you download your QTS certificate from the TRA and then provide it to your new school in July.

I have some concerns about you doing your second placement in the autism school. In many dealings with the DfE they’ve been quite strong in saying that both placements must cover both the age ranges and the key stages and that special needs placements are not suitable for the second placement due to the fact that you can often be teaching a different key stage of material to the year group. The second placement is supposed to be helping you fulfil the four year groups and two key stages brief across two schools.

As you say, even if you move back to the first school on the cause for concern you’ll pass it fine, which in a way reiterates what the DfE is saying. Just check that the unit in which the placement is based is assessed overall rather than placement by placement.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  4. studentcrisis

studentcrisis New commenter

Thank you. The course is assessed overall at the end of the year so I won’t fail a specific placement.

I wish I had not asked for the autism school placement now but it’s attached to the training school and they want to push trainees through it.

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Just view it as a good thing. Play the game and go along with it.

Schools won't look at it negatively simply because no-one will be expected to be perfect in their training year. Schools will also be aware of unsupportive mentors and will be willing to give you a chance.

6. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Sounds like your second placement is a very tough one. I think many experienced teachers would struggle, let alone a trainee.
    It’s a learning experience, just do your best, and ask for lots of help.

7. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

That sounds like a beneficial but very challenging second placement.

Do your best, seek out opportunities to learn and don't worry because the course is judged overall, not by placement. When you come to apply for jobs you've got an extra string to your bow.